Swapping external trans coolers on 1/2T truck suv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics 1-3 are the HD cooler. Pics 4 & 5 are stock 1/2T cooler. I couldn't get side by side pic, but the HD cooler is ~ 5" x 13" and double the thickness core vs the 1/2T cooler which is ~4" x 11" and thin in comparison. It appears to be a bolt in on the core support, you just have to adapter up to the larger lines.

While this HD cooler may not cool as much or as well as the trucool 40k suggested above, it still can be looked to as an upgrade on a 1/2T truck or suv in my opinion. The additional depth of the cooler core along with the larger surface area can only help.

Off topic; I always keep my eyes peeled for factory options that are a relatively easy bolt in and that my Tahoe did not have when it was built. One I have looked for a long time is the factory oil cooler setup. I have never seen one, but I think it is a oil over water cooler in the driver's side tank of the radiator. Is that correct? Anyone know the correct RPO code for it? To add this oil cooler, I'd need to swap out radiators I believe. The lines and adapter at the block/oil filter location are what I'd watch out for as the radiator can be swapped when it's time for a new radiator. Has anyone seen this set up from a factory installed vehicle?View attachment 232174 View attachment 232175 View attachment 232176 View attachment 232177 View attachment 232178
Here’s the oil cooler in the factory radiator- it’s the exact same as the trans cooler that’s in the radiator.

4A4F43FF-C533-4EFC-9C42-784F7512BB9C.jpeg 6E27B8E9-A5D5-4664-A4AD-452CCA707792.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are indeed different. I had heard they were the same too, but always wondered about it. Now that 8.1 trucks are showing up where it's easy to see, I found otherwise. I'll try to get a picture of it next time. Definitely will check for flow and what the fluid looks like that is coming out, looking for no metal flakes.

The GMT900 2500 SUVs used the same as the 1500s and I thought that crossed all lines and was not correct. Cool find Matt and yes, as Chase says, KC4 is for the engine oil cooler.

They first came out in 1978 with the Oldsmobile Diesel to my knowledge. I had them in my '82 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham Diesel and my '86-'87 Buick GNs. Hydroboost was another feature that these cars had (the early GNs) as well that are still used today in the trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9