Swap to gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTReece

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2009 Tahoe Hybrid with 199000 miles. Transmission died, Chevy dealer told me they could not get parts or new transmission. I found a used one in Brooklyn NY for 1900.00 with 70,000 miles, so they said. They new used transmission lasted less than a week. Now I have 6500.00 in changing transmission that does not work. Dealer was the only one that would touch it for 155.00 an hour and I know a lot of shops. I can not locate another trans.
My question, has any body swaped one of these to just regular gas Tahoe?
Any insight would be very helpfull. Thank you, Mike

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2009 Tahoe Hybrid with 199000 miles. Transmission died, Chevy dealer told me they could not get parts or new transmission. I found a used one in Brooklyn NY for 1900.00 with 70,000 miles, so they said. They new used transmission lasted less than a week. Now I have 6500.00 in changing transmission that does not work. Dealer was the only one that would touch it for 155.00 an hour and I know a lot of shops. I can not locate another trans.
My question, has any body swaped one of these to just regular gas Tahoe?
Any insight would be very helpfull. Thank you, Mike
the only issue i can see is the A/C will have to be completely flushed out the cooling system(different radiator too) removal of the HV battery,drive shaft(different length)

obviously it will need to be swapped with a normal one you will also need a BCM,ECM, braking system (front end parts such as ABS, etc..) & harness.. the hybrid system will need to be completely gutted.... basically you would have to completely gut the whole thing.... other wise it comes off the same assembly line

basically you need a writed off tahoe maybe that was in a mild side impact enough to total it but no damage to the important parts....

honestly when mine kicks the bucket i'm getting a 4.8L w/6 speed and swapping my body components so much easier the swapping power train...

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that the transmission was warranted and your not out the transmission costs! I have never checked on it but was hoping that a good transmission shop could just rebuild the GM 2ML70 2 Mode Hybrid transmission if needed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094