Suspension increased comfort/handling suggestions, please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading on different forums that if you want a passive suspension with a good smooth stock ride go to strutmasters.com. I have not ordered any of their parts, however they seem to be reasonably priced. I plan on ordering both front and rear from them this summer for my 01 suburban with autoride.

I had the strutmaster front kit on my 03 Escalade, the ride quality is terrible compared to stock, I would not suggest it. Stick w/ shocks that support autodampening, like the Monroe specialty shocks, or drop it with a 2/3-4 kit.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all I want to do honestly I mainly want to fix the sway boat feeling and the comfort cause right now I feel every damn imperfection, rock, pebble, etc. in the road. I have stock wheels filled per factory specs. I was leaning towards the HD bilsteins because everyone say they give a stiffer ride but are also comfortable at the same time. I've purchased all new idler and pitman arms, upper and lower ball joints, outer and inner tie rods, and all new bushings all the way around to get started, I also want to do some other things to the front like shocks but I still am undecided... The rear also I got new bushings but dont know where to go from there... should i go with oem replacements for the shocks or go with the bilsteins? I am don't know what will give me the best ride. lf I end up leveling it out with the suggestion you gave me, will that make the ride any better or any worse? with that drop wouldnt it also make it so I would need shock extenders?

I'd wait and do the shocks last, then decide what you need after the rest of the suspension is rebuilt. You might decide then to go with autoride replacements.

I put passive (Monroe) shocks on my Escalade thinking the OEM were shot but they didn't ride any better than the 85K mile OEM shocks. After I finish with the rest of my suspension I plan to put the old autoride shocks back on to see how they feel and determine if I need new ones.

I can't speak to the HD Bilsteins on this platform but I did use them on my previous SUV, a Trailblazer and they were the perfect replacement IMO, nice firm ride without any harshness.

tfmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Tony on the 5/32 info. The end of the air line that goes into the shock is mushroom shaped. Do you know if I need this shape on the end of the air line or will a straight "cut off" end work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC