Suspension increased comfort/handling suggestions, please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hec.deli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the suspension in my 2005 Denali with 110k mi. which is equip with the OEM autoride. The SUV does not ride like it used to when I first got it, the suspension is really bouncy and handles pretty bad when cornering. In my research I have came across a lot of names Bilstein, Rancho, Manroe, etc. When it came down to it the Bilstein's HD were most suggested shocks to assist for what I am looking for, handling and convertibility. I was also thinking about getting some Air Lift 1000's for some added support in the rear and maybe even replacing the all the coils. I know the coils and the shocks are not the only thing that affect the suspension comfort, does anyone else have any suggestions regarding this matter? maybe changing all the bushing and also ball joints, I am looking for the most comfortable ride, obviously without it being bouncy... Oh and I also forgot does anyone suggest me just getting OEM replacements for the autoride already equip in my vehicle, in other forums I have read the autoride is horrible for comfort and handling that it isnt the smoothest ride...

Last edited:

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your autoride system may be running passively. There could be a number of reasons why, if you want to keep autoride working, you will need to figure out which components in the system are bad and replace them with OE or OE equivalent parts. I recommend the Monroe speciality shocks and Dorman compressor from Amazon, it will run you around $1000 for the package. This will maintain auto dampening and auto leveling.

If you don't care to keep autoride, you can convert the vehicle to standard suspension, but you will need to disable the autoride errors messages and, unless you also lower it, it will mostly still perform poorly. IMO autoride works very effectively when operating properly.

Lowering it with something like a 2/3-4 drop is possible. There are some kits available that are well recommended on this forum and retain or provide a solution for maintaing autoride. I also like the Arnot/Bilstein HD rear shocks, they are a bit beefier then the Monroes but do not provide autodampening. monroe fronts, arnot/bilstein rears, dorman compressor, 2/3-4 drop kit = ideal

Check out; http://tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=86

Last edited:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the suspension in my 2005 Denali with 110k mi. which is equip with the OEM autoride. The SUV does not ride like it used to when I first got it, the suspension is really bouncy and handles pretty bad when cornering. In my research I have came across a lot of names Bilstein, Rancho, Manroe, etc. When it came down to it the Bilstein's HD were most suggested shocks to assist for what I am looking for, handling and convertibility. I was also thinking about getting some Air Lift 1000's for some added support in the rear and maybe even replacing the all the coils. I know the coils and the shocks are not the only thing that affect the suspension comfort, does anyone else have any suggestions regarding this matter? maybe changing all the bushing and also ball joints, I am looking for the most comfortable ride, obviously without it being bouncy... Oh and I also forgot does anyone suggest me just getting OEM replacements for the autoride already equip in my vehicle, in other forums I have read the autoride is horrible for comfort and handling that it isnt the smoothest ride...

my 2/3-4 kit with rear endlinks/bumpstops

then you add in airlift 1000 60742 airbags so can load up

and front/rear swaybar

If you want to go all out here is my complete custom kit
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=102

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At your mileage you probably need most of the suspension components replaced.

I'm almost finished rebuilding the entire suspension and steering on my 05 Escalade with 90K miles on it and it is a night a day difference in ride and handling. The only things left original on the front end are the upper and lower control arms, which I plan to replace this spring.

All parts are worn by now, maybe not to the point of recommending replacement during an inspection but all those things working together in a system add up, enough to cause you concern with the ride and handling.

When going through my Escalade I noticed the following.

Slight play in inner tie rod end.
Upper control arms bushings cracked pretty badly, lowers seem to be holding up well.
Some play in pitman arm.
Some play in idler arm.

In the rear:
Very soft bushings in the panhard bar.
Cracks in lower control arm bushings, top were fine.

OP
OP
hec.deli

hec.deli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your autoride system may be running passively. There could be a number of reasons why, if you want to keep autoride working, you will need to figure out which components in the system are bad and replace them with OE or OE equivalent parts. I recommend the Monroe speciality shocks and Dorman compressor from Amazon, it will run you around $1000 for the package. This will maintain auto dampening and auto leveling.

If you don't care to keep autoride, you can convert the vehicle to standard suspension, but you will need to disable the autoride errors messages and, unless you also lower it, it will mostly still perform poorly. IMO autoride works very effectively when operating properly.

Lowering it with something like a 2/3-4 drop is possible. There are some kits available that are well recommended on this forum and retain or provide a solution for maintaing autoride. I also like the Arnot/Bilstein HD rear shocks, they are a bit beefier then the Monroes but do not provide autodampening. monroe fronts, arnot/bilstein rears, dorman compressor, 2/3-4 drop kit = ideal

Check out; http://tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=86

I'm not planning on lowering or anything want to maintain original ride height. So what all in all would you suggest just keeping the autoride? I've seen a lot of other forums advise to go aftermarket like HD Bilstein's I'm just in the middle of what all I want to do I don't know what all it will improve if I do just replace with OEM replacements I hate the boat sway...

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

my 2/3-4 kit with rear endlinks/bumpstops

then you add in airlift 1000 60742 airbags so can load up

and front/rear swaybar

If you want to go all out here is my complete custom kit
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=102

I'm sorry what is a 2/3-4 kit I'm not all too proficient with all the lingo. And when you say the sway bar you suggesting to replace them?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

At your mileage you probably need most of the suspension components replaced.

I'm almost finished rebuilding the entire suspension and steering on my 05 Escalade with 90K miles on it and it is a night a day difference in ride and handling. The only things left original on the front end are the upper and lower control arms, which I plan to replace this spring.

All parts are worn by now, maybe not to the point of recommending replacement during an inspection but all those things working together in a system add up, enough to cause you concern with the ride and handling.

When going through my Escalade I noticed the following.

Slight play in inner tie rod end.
Upper control arms bushings cracked pretty badly, lowers seem to be holding up well.
Some play in pitman arm.
Some play in idler arm.

In the rear:
Very soft bushings in the panhard bar.
Cracks in lower control arm bushings, top were fine.

I'm definitely in the process of doing the same I just bought new energy suspension bushings all the way around going to take me a bit to complete but I'm sure I will be satisfied at the end. Looking into new pitman and idler arms and tie rods too all Moog would anyone suggest different ones?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
do the front tie rods/idler arm and balljoints

front/rear djm swaybars will make it feel better which i sell for 375 shipped
in rear a 2 inch drop spring with the djm endlink kits will increase handling also and get it level with front. so you dont want to touch the rear at all?

OP
OP
hec.deli

hec.deli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what all I want to do honestly I mainly want to fix the sway boat feeling and the comfort cause right now I feel every damn imperfection, rock, pebble, etc. in the road. I have stock wheels filled per factory specs. I was leaning towards the HD bilsteins because everyone say they give a stiffer ride but are also comfortable at the same time. I've purchased all new idler and pitman arms, upper and lower ball joints, outer and inner tie rods, and all new bushings all the way around to get started, I also want to do some other things to the front like shocks but I still am undecided... The rear also I got new bushings but dont know where to go from there... should i go with oem replacements for the shocks or go with the bilsteins? I am don't know what will give me the best ride. lf I end up leveling it out with the suggestion you gave me, will that make the ride any better or any worse? with that drop wouldnt it also make it so I would need shock extenders?

tfmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replace my original autoride shocks with the Arnott electric air shocks. Very straight forward with one small problem. One air line WOULD NOT come out of the old shock and I ended up cutting it off. I cannot find replacement air lines anywhere. Can anyone tell me where to find air lines?

rob3827

Reaction score
I have been reading on different forums that if you want a passive suspension with a good smooth stock ride go to strutmasters.com. I have not ordered any of their parts, however they seem to be reasonably priced. I plan on ordering both front and rear from them this summer for my 01 suburban with autoride.