Suspension advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redditt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After years of complaining about my wife selling my 1994 Suburban 4x4 that was a retired fire department brush truck, I got a 2001 Yukon Denali. As much as I would have preferred the XL, I’m happy to be back in a full-size truck. Plus, the previous owner upgraded the seats to the 2007+ seats and the newer GM 20” rims with oversized tires.

With the tires being about 1.5” taller and 3/4” wider (mostly inside), my 5’4” wife is having more and more trouble getting in and out of the truck (mostly due to medical issues even though were in our 30s).c177d4c1efba8b12fbd30798529464a4.jpg
In addition, the tires scrub the wheel wells on sharp turns or heavy flex (front and rear). Instead of agreeing to sell it and get a smaller SUV, I wondered if lowering it is a viable option. I also wondered if I should look into getting spacers to solve the scrubbing problem and if there would be any complications with the combination or if one or the other alone would solve the issue.

If it weren’t for my own mobility issues, I would only consider a lift kit, but the few times I’ve taken the truck off-road, I’ve not needed any more clearance. Also, I’ve never tried to turn an AWD truck into an off-road rig. I’m happy to hear any suggestions or advice.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always put on a smaller tire. Something like 265-50-20 - will lower the truck for your wife, get rid of the fender scrub, and the truck will be faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redditt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can always put on a smaller tire. Something like 265-50-20 - will lower the truck for your wife, get rid of the fender scrub, and the truck will be faster.
The thought crossed my mind, but honestly, I have a ton of tread left on those tires and would hate to see them go to waste. Plus, I've been getting 18mpg on the highway even with 240k on the odometer. Do tire shops take trades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

redditt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just need to get a step for your lady.

Depending how your rig sits, you might be able to adjust the torsion bar up an inch to get your front clearance back.

Those are really nice. I will definitely keep that in mind, but they're a little pricey for my disability income at the moment.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice. I will definitely keep that in mind, but they're a little pricey for my disability income at the moment.

Watch FB Marketplace, OfferUp, and Craigslist for running boards. https://www.searchtempest.com/ is also a good tool for searching; make sure to pay attention to part out posts -- you can often get running boards there as well.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, the previous owner upgraded the seats to the 2007+ seats

Dumb question, but how is that possible? Aren't the 1999-2006 seats built with the seatbelts incorporated, and the 2007+ rely on seatbelts attached to the cab? My kids are in my Suburban right now, so I can't eyeball it at the moment...

OP
OP
R

redditt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dumb question, but how is that possible? Aren't the 1999-2006 seats built with the seatbelts incorporated, and the 2007+ rely on seatbelts attached to the cab? My kids are in my Suburban right now, so I can't eyeball it at the moment...
You're correct. They are 2006 seats, which has much better leather than I remember the earlier 2nd gen seats.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're correct. They are 2006 seats, which has much better leather than I remember the earlier 2nd gen seats.

Sorry! Wasn't trying to nitpick. Was really hoping you had figured out a way over that particular hurdle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wintermute92

Latest posts