Suspensión question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a complete BellTech suspension on mine, actually only retained the front coil springs. I've got (I think) 40-50k on this suspension, but can reassure you that my biggest difference was tires. Lose the speed rated PPV tires, don't look back......and don't think it "adds" anything to the truck. People get stuck on "needing" PPV parts: tires, brakes, etc. Get rid of all that shit.

I went to 255/65's with the BellTech, best thing I ever did. I haven't had a beer foam up on me while driving since.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very in depth and educational. Much appreciated. If I can get my hands on a set of factory springs from a regular LS or LT and use factory height shocks but just aftermarket then I would be in good shape. I’m trying to improve ride best I can.

Extenders and quality stock-replacement shocks would definitely be the better route. Possibly even the cheaper route versus finding quality 2"
drop shocks.

Just trying to be smart before throwing parts at it for a trial and error and hurting my wallet

Absolutely! That's why I'm explaining what I can and suggesting budget-friendly ways to get what you need, such as buying someone's stock take-off springs after they lowered or lifted theirs.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
Extenders and quality stock-replacement shocks would definitely be the better route. Possibly even the cheaper route versus finding quality 2"
drop shocks.

Absolutely! That's why I'm explaining what I can and suggesting budget-friendly ways to get what you need, such as buying someone's stock take-off springs after they lowered or lifted theirs.
You’ve been very helpful. I already got a set of stock springs to start then will add in billstein stuff behind it

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
I did a complete BellTech suspension on mine, actually only retained the front coil springs. I've got (I think) 40-50k on this suspension, but can reassure you that my biggest difference was tires. Lose the speed rated PPV tires, don't look back......and don't think it "adds" anything to the truck. People get stuck on "needing" PPV parts: tires, brakes, etc. Get rid of all that shit.

I went to 255/65's with the BellTech, best thing I ever did. I haven't had a beer foam up on me while driving since.
Thank you for this. Made me laugh as well. What you did is what I’m aiming for. Did you do tires first before you added bell tech? How much overall difference did it make if you did?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve been very helpful. I already got a set of stock springs to start then will add in billstein stuff behind it

Ah, so if you're not lowering it then you won't need the extenders. Just get all stock or stock-replacement stuff and you'll be good to go.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. Made me laugh as well. What you did is what I’m aiming for. Did you do tires first before you added bell tech? How much overall difference did it make if you did?
I did it all at once. If I still had the PPV tires on there, this thing would have looked slammed though.

I am 100% confident the tires by themselves will make a huge impact, and give you a ton of relief. Obviously the taller the sidewall, the more plush the ride. You just need to figure out what is most important to you, or what weighs in more: the ride, the look, or both. Find your compromise and roll with it, pun unintentional.

I did the suspension because I liked the stance of the PPV, and I knew the stock stuff was surely beyond life since my Tahoe at 190k on the odo when I got it. I also knew that going with a taller sidewall was going to bring the truck back to 'normal' height, hence me installing the lowering kit. But after talking to Tony about it, and knowing he had setup countless trucks (including my Trailblazer SS, which I ran Belltech on), I went that route and have zero regrets. The ride is great and refined, and works well still with the miles adding up every day. I wouldn't change a thing on the setup.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
I did it all at once. If I still had the PPV tires on there, this thing would have looked slammed though.

I am 100% confident the tires by themselves will make a huge impact, and give you a ton of relief. Obviously the taller the sidewall, the more plush the ride. You just need to figure out what is most important to you, or what weighs in more: the ride, the look, or both. Find your compromise and roll with it, pun unintentional.

I did the suspension because I liked the stance of the PPV, and I knew the stock stuff was surely beyond life since my Tahoe at 190k on the odo when I got it. I also knew that going with a taller sidewall was going to bring the truck back to 'normal' height, hence me installing the lowering kit. But after talking to Tony about it, and knowing he had setup countless trucks (including my Trailblazer SS, which I ran Belltech on), I went that route and have zero regrets. The ride is great and refined, and works well still with the miles adding up every day. I wouldn't change a thing on the setup.
I think I will do the tires first. I currently have RS-A 265/60r17. Can I go with same set up you have to achieve better ride at 255/65 or should I go 265/65? I like the stance and the handling just want to soften the ride

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will do the tires first. I currently have RS-A 265/60r17. Can I go with same set up you have to achieve better ride at 255/65 or should I go 265/65? I like the stance and the handling just want to soften the ride
Not to piss on your parade, but if you are going for comfort......handling is out of the window. Don't go for a wider tire if you think you're going to be blasting around highway off-ramps at speed. The 265/65 will be about 5mm more side than the 255/65, but that is pretty much insignificant. I imagine cost difference will be minimal too, between those sizes. Doesn't really hurt to have more contact patch though, so its a toss up between those sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64