Suspensión question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amp653

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been spoken about but had a question. What will bring back me to civilian ride suspension? I know what I bought but eventually the wife will be driving it and want to make it comfortable for her. Thanks in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been spoken about but had a question. What will bring back me to civilian ride suspension? I know what I bought but eventually the wife will be driving it and want to make it comfortable for her. Thanks in advance.

Tires will make the biggest difference. If running a 17 inch wheel, you want a 70 series tire instead of a 60 series. Then you'll want to replace the cop shocks and cop springs.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
Tires will make the biggest difference. If running a 17 inch wheel, you want a 70 series tire instead of a 60 series. Then you'll want to replace the cop shocks and cop springs.
I would agree about tires. Struts we’re just done prior to me buying it. A set of billsteins shocks and springs would make that much of a difference?

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
I would agree about tires. Struts we’re just done prior to me buying it. A set of billsteins shocks and springs would make that much of a difference?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's subjective, start with the tires and take it from there. Basically, you'll want to convert it to a ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride suspension to change it from one to the other if the tires don't do enough.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree about tires. Struts we’re just done prior to me buying it.

But did they install the replacement specifically for the PPV suspension? The PPVs are spec'ed to have firmer shock and strut valving. As @swathdiver said, change the tires if it still has the ones spec'ed for the PPV, even if it's just the size (not necessarily the speed rating). If this doesn't suffice, get "civillian" springs and shocks/struts. The springs can be found everywhere new or from people that lowered or lifted their rigs. The tires and swapping out the springs will raise it to standard Tahoe height. The taller tires will make your speedometer read slow, too.

A set of billsteins shocks and springs would make that much of a difference?

Bilsteins are often hailed as the best-riding shock on these, but there are others that are a little more budget-friendly. I think the Monroe Sensa-Trac line is one example of these. No personal experience, though.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps the new struts have a label on them so you could get the mfr and model, and look them up to see if they're civilian or PPV type.

OP
OP
A

Amp653

Reaction score
Perhaps the new struts have a label on them so you could get the mfr and model, and look them up to see if they're civilian or PPV type.
I was under there today but could only see part of the sticker at bottom shock. The tires are still the factory RS-A with 17” rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01