Supercruise owners, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We live in a very rural area, but my Honda Ridgeline's lane assist works a little better than either my Chevy's, so my fingers are crossed for the new Supercruise equipped Silverado to keep me between the lines when I drive on our only local 4 lane state road.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, Super Cruise is top notch; the weaknesses is it requires a subscription, and more importantly the equipment has to be off constraint for you even to have a shot at it. However, I'm not knocking SC in the slightest.

What I'm harping on is the technological capabilities for non-SC vehicles. The faceplant is that the driver assistance technology for GM drivers who don't have Super Cruise (either because they don't spring for it or because it's on constraint) is as capable as it was back in 2015 and is handily beat by the quality of technology in the lowest trim of the Honda Civic. When you can buy the equivalent of 3 or 4 Honda Civics with the cost of an eligible-trim Suburban (premiere or HC), it is a major kick to the nuts for GM drivers and leaves a sour taste in the mouth on an otherwise great vehicle.

The vehicle (at least my premiere trim) has the same instruments in it as the Honda does (cameras that detect lane lines - arguably my Suburban has a lot more cameras than the Civic) so the fact that the Civic can center in the lane and track curves in the road and the Suburban cannot comes down to the programming prowess (or lack thereof).

Maybe all GM's programmers are working on SC.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rhyme or reason causes the power boards to turn the light strip on? Seems like sometimes I open the door and they turn on and sometimes they don't...what gives?
Maybe all GM's programmers are working on SC.
All of GM programmers are working on the next Generation "Ultra Cruise", here is my take on it and I have SC in my Denali. A lot of people compare the lane assist to other OEM's but I look at it this way. GM has decided to go with newer technology (Super Cruise) where the others haven't and really can't compete in this area. And now they are working on "Ultra Cruise" which will replace SC in the near future. I think in the future we will see this in almost all of GM vehicles whether we want it or like it. Between Tesla and GM they are years ahead of the other OEM's in this area, and it all is designed to end up in autonomous driving.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..and it all is designed to end up in autonomous driving.
I live in the country and generally enjoy the experience of the drive. Autonomous driving may be the future but thankfully I'm old and may never see the day it's mandatory.

mrrairai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of GM programmers are working on the next Generation "Ultra Cruise", here is my take on it and I have SC in my Denali. A lot of people compare the lane assist to other OEM's but I look at it this way. GM has decided to go with newer technology (Super Cruise) where the others haven't and really can't compete in this area. And now they are working on "Ultra Cruise" which will replace SC in the near future. I think in the future we will see this in almost all of GM vehicles whether we want it or like it. Between Tesla and GM they are years ahead of the other OEM's in this area, and it all is designed to end up in autonomous driving.
Yeah but I can drive my 2021 Honda Accord down the interstate for miles and every 15 seconds all I need to do is touch the wheel so the vehicle knows I’m still there. Granted SC doesn’t require that but this is in a $35K vehicle while we have to pay a lot more for a vehicle with SC. I’m not knocking GM but their LKA is weak. When I hop into our XT6, I turn it off because it honestly sucks. It’s more of a hindrance than anything.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I can drive my 2021 Honda Accord down the interstate for miles and every 15 seconds all I need to do is touch the wheel so the vehicle knows I’m still there. Granted SC doesn’t require that but this is in a $35K vehicle while we have to pay a lot more for a vehicle with SC. I’m not knocking GM but their LKA is weak. When I hop into our XT6, I turn it off because it honestly sucks. It’s more of a hindrance than anything.
I am not disagreeing with you, my point is that GM doesn't really care about LKA. I never used it in my wife's 2015 Yukon or my 2016 Tahoe. My point is to what the future is for GM with SC and UC, and if you prefer they have adaptive cruise which is way better than just having LKA. I'm not knocking that your Accord is great with LKA but that is not the direction that GM is going in and you will not see GM try to make LKA better than Honda or any other OEM that has great LKA.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the country and generally enjoy the experience of the drive. Autonomous driving may be the future but thankfully I'm old and may never see the day it's mandatory.

I can't imagine it ever being mandatory, at least not in our lifetimes. Maybe the feature will be forced into vehicles someday, like seatbelts or the stupid auto start/stop tech, but you'll be dead and gone before they every remove the steering wheel.

I spent about 20k more than I had wanted to for a vehicle that was available now, and had Super Cruise, because it was taking forever to get our order delivered. Now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up without a very compelling reason. In fact, I've already spoken with the local Cadillac dealer about trading in for an ESV when they get Ultra Cruise. I think there's a caddy sedan that's slated for initial release, but I'd expect the ESV will follow soon after.

Bottom line, we live in a late-stage capitalistic society where companies are going to take every single penny that they can, and there isn't a strong enough middle class to effect the markets.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine it ever being mandatory, at least not in our lifetimes. Maybe the feature will be forced into vehicles someday, like seatbelts or the stupid auto start/stop tech, but you'll be dead and gone before they every remove the steering wheel.

I spent about 20k more than I had wanted to for a vehicle that was available now, and had Super Cruise, because it was taking forever to get our order delivered. Now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up without a very compelling reason. In fact, I've already spoken with the local Cadillac dealer about trading in for an ESV when they get Ultra Cruise. I think there's a caddy sedan that's slated for initial release, but I'd expect the ESV will follow soon after.

Bottom line, we live in a late-stage capitalistic society where companies are going to take every single penny that they can, and there isn't a strong enough middle class to effect the markets.
Totally agree. But usually when there is choice and when something is better it progresses. Nobody prefers steam powered cars or horses anymore, because they made a better mousetrap and it was a choice. People chose. But corporations today manipulate and restrict you into their choice. As stated above how did the LKA work so well in 2015, 2017....and its much worse today in brand new Gm trucks?? Same feature, same company.? To frustrate and manipulate us towards the new thing. Now i believe customers would have wanted the best new thing and it would be alot of peoples choice ....but they moved the needle. Just like Apple did slowing down Iphones to manipulate people into the new one. So they make this the most viable good option, but the catch is forever payments to use it. They will push as far as they can. If people lay down and become sheep....they will be sheep.
This is why they have been weakening the middle class for many years. They are in the way. Once crushed they will steam roll anything they want. You are correct capitalism is dying.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score

20k above msrp? Or just a vehicle 20k more?

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's why I miss my 2000 Mustang GT. Only nanny feature on it was the traction control that you had to turn off every time you started it. Pure fun because you drove the car and if you got your self in trouble I had to figure it out and not hope the car would save me. Supercruise is a cool feature, but I would rather drive the car than just be a rider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2