Supercharged 5.3 a First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was considering trying out ECS for mods but decided to go with CarTek in Garwood since they have a pretty good rep working on late model GM corporate motors. I had my TA done by TTP performance who was originally out of Clifton and now moved to Toms River. Wasn't happy with them. ECS came up in my search as did CarTek. Since Garwood is 25 mins away and CreamRidge is an hour+ away, I figured it will be easier to get the 30 minute ride from someone. But ECS is a very reputable company. IU have to assume you had them do your TT-vette?

You heading to Atco now that Englishtown is nothing but a memory?
Cartek did my original bolt on on the C6. ECS did the old set up (blower and meth, 760 whpr) and the new TT set up. Having dealt with both, I prefer ECS.

Car is a street car, full interior, custom stereo, full weight. Raced at Pocono for roll racing. This year, Atco and 1/2 mile events will added.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ira , My understanding is that Black Bear will be tuning in New Jersey soon. You may want them to check the engine tune and get the transmission done also.

I also have a PM in your inbox.
Thanks. I’m fine with the engine tune. I will look into trans tuning. I just hope the stock trans can take some abuse or I will be building a stout transmission and turning up the boost.

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m fine with the engine tune. I will look into trans tuning. I just hope the stock trans can take some abuse or I will be building a stout transmission and turning up the boost.

Thats my worry right now is the transmission. It feels like the 6l80e is on the edge as it is now. I'm thinking about proactively having Circle D build it out.

Bill Marshalonis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am glad that you have a 6L80E. Mine was a 4L60E. And, it blew up rather quickly, in the 2nd month of street use. I had it built out to 4L65E with firmer shifts, and it has been OK so far. I am still worried about it, and was thinking of going to a 4L80E. I do have a 14bolt diff with 4:56 gears.
To get even more power, I am experimenting with smaller pulleys, but have an octane problem. And, experimenting with E-85 to get the higher octane.
You cannot have enough power with a 6,000 lb Tahoe.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have the max tow package on your truck?
I do.

My transmission computer does not require being sent out for unlocking. We will be tuning the transmission in the immediate future. So far so good

After a couple of weeks, fuel mileage has been down only 1.5 mpg on average. This weekend, I got 21.3 mpg on a long trip and averaged 75 mpg once on the highway.

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bolted on my Edelbrock TVS2300 this past weekend and had blackbear tune it. Runs great. It honestly makes this truck a different animal. If you drive normal it is very tame but everything feels more crisp. The TvS2300 is obv underutilized by the 5.3 but im building another engine. I have a little work to do on the transmission tune but the power is fantastic.

Having said all that.... Dont get the edelbrock kit. Even though I find it aesthetically more pleasing; Its design is needlessly complicated compared to the normal magnacharger install.

13.JPG