Sunroof Cover Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Yukon2500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought an 02 Yukon XL and one of the only problems with it is that the sunroof cover was missing. I'm talking about the sliding shade that is on the inside.

I picked up one off eBay with good clips. Before I attempt the install, I figured that I'd look online and came up dry. I'm hoping someone on here can give me directions, or at least a few pointers...

Danny

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an 02 Yukon XL and one of the only problems with it is that the sunroof cover was missing. I'm talking about the sliding shade that is on the inside.

I picked up one off eBay with good clips. Before I attempt the install, I figured that I'd look online and came up dry. I'm hoping someone on here can give me directions, or at least a few pointers...

Danny

I've seen Vehcor do it on his youtube videos, the pillar trim has to come off to drop the headliner down, same with sun visors. You can purchase a subscription to the shop manual at AllDataDIY or scour youtube for videos. Like I said, Scott at VEHCOR did it on some trucks and a GM car, like an old Pontiac.

OP
OP

02Yukon2500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Realized that I never updated this. You don't need to drop the headliner. Here is the process:

1. Raise the sunroof to the vent position.
2. Mark the location of the sunroof on the four mount points (I just used a silver sharpie)
3. Remove the four torx screws that secure the sunroof glass
4. Lift the sunroof glass up and set back on the roof. Be careful / put something under it so you don't scratch the roof.
5. From the top, insert the shade into the track opposite you. The side toward you will be sitting on top of the truck.
6. Use one hand to push up on the middle while you push down on the side toward you. You need to flex it enough that the side near you will fit into the track. Be careful not to crease it, etc. when you flex it.
7. Release tension as you guide it into the track near you.
8. Slide the shade back under the cross bar. The shade is now installed.
9. Slide the shade back and forth, checking you have all the slides correctly in the track and to admire your work.
10. Put the glass back in, using the marks you made in step 2. You did make marks, right?...
11. Celebrate a job well done.

I hope this helps someone else some day...

Danny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts