2014 PPV..Suggestions Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbfan405

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 PPV Tahoe - 110K Miles

Stopped blowing hot air a few weeks ago.

Replaced t-stat, water pump and serp belt while it was off and flushed the system.

Fixed the hot air; however, now the engine temp gauge is reading 225-230 versus the 210 I'd like to see.

replaced the temp gauge again to make sure it wasn't defective.

High temps causing the fan to work overtime in high.

Any suggestions on what to look at/replace next?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 PPV Tahoe - 110K Miles

Stopped blowing hot air a few weeks ago.

Replaced t-stat, water pump and serp belt while it was off and flushed the system.

Fixed the hot air; however, now the engine temp gauge is reading 225-230 versus the 210 I'd like to see.

replaced the temp gauge again to make sure it wasn't defective.

High temps causing the fan to work overtime in high.

Any suggestions on what to look at/replace next?
did you use a oem thermostat?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No...got one (two) from Napa.
well my first guess is the thermostat is funky, if everything worked fine before.
we are kind of running on limited information here
what exactly fixed the "hot air"? did you fix or replace anything else?, if the temperature was previously running (normal) 210, then that wasn't the cause of hot air problem.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the temp hold steady at 230, or does it jump from 210 at times? If it is holding steady around 230, I'd say @Doubeleive is right with the aftermarket t-stat not opening/closing within the OEM specs. If it is only going over 210 occasionally, how far have you driven it since replacing everything? Air bubbles can be a nightmare sometimes.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the temp hold steady at 230, or does it jump from 210 at times? If it is holding steady around 230, I'd say @Doubeleive is right with the aftermarket t-stat not opening/closing within the OEM specs. If it is only going over 210 occasionally, how far have you driven it since replacing everything? Air bubbles can be a nightmare sometimes.

Indeed. We put a LS1 in our Firebird and the first couple of events we went to, the car would warm up, then, while sitting at idle, would jump to 230-240. The first time it did it, I freaked and shut the engine off. Checked the radiator, which was full. Started the car, and it seemed okay.

It would do that for a while, normal temps, then jump 20-30 deg. F, stay there for a few to 10's of seconds then drop back down to normal. The radiator was always full. I eventually purged all the air out of it, so it now works as normal, but it can be scary sometimes. Getting ALL the wire out is a big deal with these engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne