Subwoofer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut out the jack mounting post and moved it under my 2nd row. The tools are still in there.

I did see somewhere on here that someone put an ammo box under the hood in that spare battery tray for the jack.

Many options to achieve making that box work which is what I think you ultimately want and the jack seems minor in that decision.

Box, sub, amp, Dremel out the sub grille and install.

:2cents:

OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For sure. Just gotta figure out which route I will take. Nearest scrap yard is 45 mins - 1 hour out from where I live, and I'm having little luck finding someone I know who makes custom boxes. But I think if I do an 8 inch there and figure out how to replace the center console sub and with what, that'll suffice for me

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure. Just gotta figure out which route I will take. Nearest scrap yard is 45 mins - 1 hour out from where I live, and I'm having little luck finding someone I know who makes custom boxes. But I think if I do an 8 inch there and figure out how to replace the center console sub and with what, that'll suffice for me

I posted this before and copied this over.
I have bought several enclosures, and IMO they ALL seemed a little cheaply made to me. Every where I looked for an enclosure at least 1 dimension was always at least 2 inches off from the size I wanted. I was looking around to get some completely custom boxes for my regular cab pickup so I could keep the seats all the way to the back, and keep the center storage area. Every audio shop in town that actually made them wanted $500 or more. I searched around local to just try and get some custom sized cuts made so I could assemble them myself.

Lowes and home depot only do straight cuts, and aren't guaranteed to be very exact with size. I really like ACE; at least around here, everyone who works at ACE has another job that they do, and uses ACE to network. I was trying to see if they would make me some custom cut sizes so I could build my own boxes. I show the guy I am trying to get some custom cuts made, and he tells me one of the other guys does cabinetry work and could probably help better. After talking about for 20 minutes, he tells me he could make them.

He made me TWO boxes out of 3/4" mdf to the exact measurements I wanted the outside to. All sides were within 1/8" of an inch, perfect: cuts, corners, angles. Screwed the sides together with some perfect angle tool, braced the edges, glued the sides together to seal it, the entire thing was sanded down smooth, and he cut the speaker hole. He would have cut out the terminal cup if I wanted him too, (but I went with just tap-in terminals instead). These boxes sure seem perfect for what I was trying to do, and much better quality than anything I could have made. He did them in two days, said they took him a few hours. Charged me $100 for TWO single 10" enclosures ($100 total). These boxes were perfect size, and much better quality than anything I have bought prefabbed.

I would suggest to anyone looking for a custom/unusual sized box where you just cant find what you are looking for, to search out for someone who does (kitchen) cabinetry (a sub box is just a cabinet with a hole), either on Craigslist or through a local hardware store, or someone you may know.

I still think you need to reconsider moving the jack mount. Not sure what reason you have for keeping it there, but its really going to limit you. That's such an incredibly minor thing to change not sure why that matters.

If you're on this site, then you're probably already prepared to change your vehicle some how. The engineers didn't design YOUR vehicle, for you. They designed it within budget, and for the majority of people. I really do think you will regret not taking out the jack mount so you could design a better speaker enclosure the first time.
TO ME: Not taking out the jack is the same as saying you can't add a water softener to your home because it didn't come with one 40 years ago. Or your not allowed to remodel your home, because that's not the way it came. I've said it twice, that's enough convincing for me to try, its always your call.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would have never thought about contacting someone who makes cabinets, that's actually an awesome idea. And honestly, I would love to move the jack out because in the 15 years my Tahoe has been within my family, we've only had a handful of holes in our tires, and we simply took it down to our local tire shop and they sealed the hole (if applicable) in 10 minutes for just a few dollars. Never have had to use the jack or spare tire, though knowing my luck the day I remove the jack I'll need it haha .

I may move it to the hood, however I don't like the idea of that because I don't have anything holding it down, plus it would be easier for me just to leave it at home. If I ever had to need that jack, I have access to much better ones so it's not really necessary .

But thanks for such helpful advice here, I'm going to look into that, finding someone who makes cabinets or does kitchen wood work for a living.

Not sure if you could answer this adriver, but do you know anything about the center console subwoofer in a Tahoe? I for sure have one, but for some reason it will only work with the CD player. If possible I plan on replacing that woofer and finding a small amp to replace the stock one, replace that wiring too. Eventually I plan on doing an after market double dim touch screen radio and maybe incorporate a backup camera into it, but that's a story for another day .

TL;DR
ty for the advice, do you know anything about the stock center console woofer?

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Stealthbox by JL in my suburban. Mounts under/in console. Awesome sound. Doesn’t show anything. I’m selling it built with the W3 in it. Used it 8 months. Asking 350 plus shipping. Not hard to install just timely. JL has instructions online. Doesn’t fit in my Denali now is only reason for selling.

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
I would have never thought about contacting someone who makes cabinets, that's actually an awesome idea. And honestly, I would love to move the jack out because in the 15 years my Tahoe has been within my family, we've only had a handful of holes in our tires, and we simply took it down to our local tire shop and they sealed the hole (if applicable) in 10 minutes for just a few dollars. Never have had to use the jack or spare tire, though knowing my luck the day I remove the jack I'll need it haha .

I may move it to the hood, however I don't like the idea of that because I don't have anything holding it down, plus it would be easier for me just to leave it at home. If I ever had to need that jack, I have access to much better ones so it's not really necessary .

But thanks for such helpful advice here, I'm going to look into that, finding someone who makes cabinets or does kitchen wood work for a living.

Not sure if you could answer this adriver, but do you know anything about the center console subwoofer in a Tahoe? I for sure have one, but for some reason it will only work with the CD player. If possible I plan on replacing that woofer and finding a small amp to replace the stock one, replace that wiring too. Eventually I plan on doing an after market double dim touch screen radio and maybe incorporate a backup camera into it, but that's a story for another day .

TL;DR
ty for the advice, do you know anything about the stock center console woofer?

So what did u end up doing?

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
I got a 2005 Tahoe REGENCY Edition.
It came with BOSE too. After I removed the stock stereo and replaced with a Kenwood Double Din & Backup Camera...that Woofer made its presence more but not enough.
I'm in the same water, looking to fill the panel in the driver side rear.

My big question was weather I could fit a Yukon XL/Suburban Stock Box in a Tahoe but from Im reading the Yukon XL Suburban Box is shorter in depth and the length might or might not interfere unless u remove the jack mount piece. And then gotta find a nice spot to mount the Amp. And looks like Making a custom wood box might be too much work. So a 8" woofer is the way to go with a slightly modified stock box to make it fit around the diameter. And I got Rear Captain seats and I've read woofers under there is limited but not for Amps so I gotta check that...but like u guys would prefer tucked away hidden

BTW I couldn't believe the Double Din Stereo didnt freeze and was able to sift thru my 2TB external hard drive that's about 75% full i been downloading mp4s and hearing Music watching movies and was able to adapt the stock rear monitors to the Kenwood

Last edited:

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Suburban/xl box will not fit Tahoe/Yukon. Just go to a junkyard. Make sure to get the clips that hold it in if you can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518