Subwoofer advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all looking for some advice ans opinions based on what y'all have for subs. I've decided i need bass in our suburban and im trying to figure out what will be best for this big boat of a ride lol. Its a 99 obs 9 passenger burb. Ive already upgraded the door speakers with kicker 2 ways and sound ordnance 4x10s in the roof. Im having a double din installed and a 4 channel amp at the stereo shop and having them run 1/0 gauge power and ground to distribution blocks a bass knob for the subs and of course the rca's and remote turn on wires. That way when i add the sub amp it will just be a quick connect and i can use the correct size power and ground for both amps. Since im putting the amps under the 2nd row seat everything will be prewired ill just have to connect the sub amp and screw it down. Normally id do it my self but they are doing a keyless entry/ remote start too so im getting the amp install and radio install for free since i got a nice radio and high end viper.

Anyway i want to know what size subs sound the best for daily play but will be king kong in the trunk when i want to get loud. We listen to everything from the rat pack to willie. Thought about 1 15 so that way it doesn't take up much room with the 3rd row up or 3 12s in one of those 3 sided boxes not sure on ported or sealed tho. What do yall have in your rides. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Go Horns!

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put in a single ported 10 (http://www.jlaudio.com/cp110-w0v3-car-audio-basswedge-93264). It blends well with my front stage. It is only getting 225 watts RMS (did not want to run a new power line to upgrade the amp), but it can get plenty loud. The nice thing about the box is that when I have anything in the back, i can turn it so the sub faces down and is protected.

I really wanted to put in the dual 10 version or an equivalent, but I would have needed to run a new power cable for a bigger amp. And I did not want to do the work when I knew the single would be loud enough for the run to the gym. The nice thing about a well designed ported 10 is that it can still react fast enough to sound good, but has the ability to get nice and loud.

As far as sealed versus ported, I have a sealed single JL 10w3v3 getting 500 watts RMS in my other car, and the ported 10 in the Tahoe can get close to the same output.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a custom built box from north east bass factory spec'd for dual jl audio 12w6's single port paired with a Orion z05000.id 5000w and nex8200 head unit. the rest is factory bose premium 10 speaker. I think I blew the rear glass off the mount earlier this year from that but it could have just been a factory defect im on the second back glass now but its chilly out now so I don't blast it as high with the windows up, the amp is way more than these speakers are made for but the jl's really hold up well and I have the gain turned down a smidge. I'm happy with it for the price.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm late but I will always stand by the jl audio w7 it's been king of the well rounded subwoofers since 2001. I have a 12 w7 in the jl sealed wedge box and love it. I have the jl hd 1200/1 running to it. a real thing of beauty

Upper tanker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a ton of "underground," or lesser-known brands out now that can be had for cheaper and perform better than the big brands.

I'd head over to http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/ and check out what they have. You should be able to get a nice 12" or 15" around 2000-3000 watts and run it off of a nice amp and be king kong with a single sub set up

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a single 12W3 since 2010. Sounds awesome. Have it mated to an MRV-M500 Alpine amp. Has been a great combo.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm late but I will always stand by the jl audio w7 it's been king of the well rounded subwoofers since 2001. I have a 12 w7 in the jl sealed wedge box and love it. I have the jl hd 1200/1 running to it. a real thing of beauty
+1 on the w7 in the wedge box. I have the same one on a jl1000 and everyone that has heard it swears there are 2 woofers in the back. Clean, clear bass and it will go get it lol. Time to replace my surround and dust cover but luckily it's a cheap fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts