Suburban rear door harness in tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffg

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a suburban rear passanger door harness in a tahoe? I want to replace the reflectors in the rear doors with lights like the front doors have. I was a pick n pull this weekend and noticed that the suburban I was working on had lights.

I know I could just run a new wire for the lights and ground it in the door, but the factory door jam harness has a plug at the b pillar and dont really want to hack it up.

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
Picked up a set of suburban rear door harnesses today at the pick a part. I will give it a try and let everyone know what I find out... since obviously there is a lot of intrest in this topic. :)

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please do.

I'm not so sure it is specific to Suburban vs Tahoe, but more a function of feature removal in the name of cost savings. My 04 doesn't have footwell lights, glovebox lights, rear door lights, cabin air filter, and I'm sure there are more. Supposedly it happened in the 03 MY at some point.

Would be neat if it's just a matter of harness swap. I ran wires for the footwells but the rear doors seemed more daunting.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Please do.

I'm not so sure it is specific to Suburban vs Tahoe, but more a function of feature removal in the name of cost savings. My 04 doesn't have footwell lights, glovebox lights, rear door lights, cabin air filter, and I'm sure there are more. Supposedly it happened in the 03 MY at some point.

Would be neat if it's just a matter of harness swap. I ran wires for the footwells but the rear doors seemed more daunting.
I've been meaning to do the footwell lights in my 03 for years lol.

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
So.. good news and bad news. The suburban rear door harnesses will work in the tahoe, however the body harness that the door harness plugs into is not pinned for the extra two wires. This means it is not a plug and play solution. I did however go ahead and install the suburban door harnesses in my tahoe and I will just add the two missing pins myself. I still think this is a cleaner way to get the lights to work over running new separate wire in a separate loom.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gone too far in research, but here's the left rear door connector views taken from a 2002 MY. Not sure where upstream you'd source the wires from. For my footwell lights, I used the courtesy lamp feed near the MBEC in that set of connectors. I'm guessing the right side is what you replaced and you need to run wire for the left side. Let me know if you need the connector view for what is on your truck for comparison.
2022-05-25 10_31_05-Service Information.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I haven't gone too far in research, but here's the left rear door connector views taken from a 2002 MY. Not sure where upstream you'd source the wires from. For my footwell lights, I used the courtesy lamp feed near the MBEC in that set of connectors. I'm guessing the right side is what you replaced and you need to run wire for the left side. Let me know if you need the connector view for what is on your truck for comparison.
View attachment 371138
Is this the same as an 03? I eventually want to run footwell lights myself.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the same as an 03? I eventually want to run footwell lights myself.
The pic is for the courtesy lights in the rear doors. The 03 likely has several spots empty inside that jamb harness.

For my front footwell lights, I tapped into C3.L in the Mid BEC.
2022-05-26 15_58_10-Mail.png2022-05-26 15_57_50-Service Information.png

OP
OP
J

jeffg

Reaction score
View attachment 371138
J and D were the pins I added. That matched the harnesses that I had.
IMG_3834.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu