Stupid question about sea foam and vacuum line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some unsolicited advice...

Might want to try adding an Oil Catch Can to the Crank Case Vent Tube. Running one of these Moroso PCV Air/Oil Separator - 85481 on an '09 Tahoe that's just about to hit the 100k mile mark and it's kept the inside of the engine much cleaner. It gets emptied at each oil change and produces 3 to 4 ounces of oil that would have otherwise gone through the engine, gumming things up, and fouling out the plugs. The crank case vapors and gasses still go through as they always would but, it traps the liquids in the lower chamber.

MOR-85481_xl.jpg

OP
OP
TorqueToSpec

TorqueToSpec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks MonkeyFresh I am actually looking at the RocketMan thread right now. I think it would be worth a few hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i almost had a bad moment once doing a lone wolf throttle. dont remember exactly what i was doing but my fat a$$ climbing up on the front shifted the prop rod and the rpms skyrocketed. ended up falling off the front of the truck trying to hurry.

I have done the same thing lmao.

RobDenali

Reaction score
I have used seafoam for the last 15 years on my GMC pickup with the Vortec 2800 engine. As a matter of fact, without seafoam the engine would be dead. Every 15,000 miles the throttle body needs to be cleaned or it wont idle. And at 20,000 miles the valves start to tap loudly. That's where the seamfoam comes into play. Shuts that tapping right up. However, I have never used the spray can. I have CAI and I run a vinyl tube into it and pour the liquid seafoam right into the intake. I have my wife on the gas so it never stalls. WE NEVER SHUT THE TRUCK OFF. I just keep pouring it in until the white smoke is gone. The engine has 163000 with the original catalytic converter and 103,000 miles on the iridium spark plugs.

I guess what I am spewing is, how dependent is this 6.2L motor on seafoam? Does carbon build up occur on the butterfly like all the vortec engines of the past?

Thanks

OP
OP
TorqueToSpec

TorqueToSpec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rob,

From what I researched it has more to do with direct injection as opposed to a difference between the 5.3 and 6.2.

DI leads to dirty valves and a tb that can really benefit from some sea foam. Another way to assist with that is installing the oil catch can people talk about on here.

Just my thoughts before someone much more informed can reply.

RobDenali

Reaction score
Some unsolicited advice...

Might want to try adding an Oil Catch Can to the Crank Case Vent Tube. Running one of these Moroso PCV Air/Oil Separator - 85481 on an '09 Tahoe that's just about to hit the 100k mile mark and it's kept the inside of the engine much cleaner. It gets emptied at each oil change and produces 3 to 4 ounces of oil that would have otherwise gone through the engine, gumming things up, and fouling out the plugs. The crank case vapors and gasses still go through as they always would but, it traps the liquids in the lower chamber.

MOR-85481_xl.jpg

Are there any write up's on this install on a 6.2L

Thanks

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob,

From what I researched it has more to do with direct injection as opposed to a difference between the 5.3 and 6.2.

DI leads to dirty valves and a tb that can really benefit from some sea foam. Another way to assist with that is installing the oil catch can people talk about on here.

Just my thoughts before someone much more informed can reply.

Catch cans are a great improvement to intake system cleanliness.
I believe DI engines tend to need cleaning more often, but people have been doing "Italian tune-ups" long before DI came out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne