stumble/shake when letting off gas pedal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last day or two our '21 yukon (5.3 4wd) seems to have developed a very slight but very noticeable stumble when letting off the gas pedal. I'd describe it as almost the exact same sensation as driving over imperfections in the road surface. It's more noticeable driving around town 25-35 mph and does it every single time the pedal is let up. Still there around 50 mph but not as much. Vehicle has just over 22K miles on it and has been butter smooth for all of those miles up to this point. We recently had the fuel pump control module replaced under warranty so not sure if that is somehow related.

I will be scheduling an appointment at the dealer to see what they think but curious if anybody on here has experienced this or has any ideas what might be going on?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last day or two our '21 yukon (5.3 4wd) seems to have developed a very slight but very noticeable stumble when letting off the gas pedal. I'd describe it as almost the exact same sensation as driving over imperfections in the road surface. It's more noticeable driving around town 25-35 mph and does it every single time the pedal is let up. Still there around 50 mph but not as much. Vehicle has just over 22K miles on it and has been butter smooth for all of those miles up to this point. We recently had the fuel pump control module replaced under warranty so not sure if that is somehow related.

I will be scheduling an appointment at the dealer to see what they think but curious if anybody on here has experienced this or has any ideas what might be going on?
my 1st guess would be torque converter but it's possible you may feeling some type dfm mode going on
it's maybe possible also if they disconnected the battery it could be going thru some type of relearn mode

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 1st guess would be torque converter but it's possible you may feeling some type dfm mode going on
it's maybe possible also if they disconnected the battery it could be going thru some type of relearn mode
Torque converter was the first thing that came to mind once I started feeling this shudder. Had one replaced on our 2011 suburban around 60K miles and it was basically the opposite feeling, it would shudder when getting back on the gas. It took several trips to the dealer and I had to drive the tech around and more or less convince him something was wrong. In the end they decided it was the torque converter, replaced it under warranty and the burban drove fantastic for the next 120K til we sold it.

I suppose maybe it could be something with the dfm too but it's weird I've never noticed this before. I feel I am quite in tune with my vehicles and can tell when something is off. Maybe one of the awesome lifters is starting to collapse or something.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque converter was the first thing that came to mind once I started feeling this shudder. Had one replaced on our 2011 suburban around 60K miles and it was basically the opposite feeling, it would shudder when getting back on the gas. It took several trips to the dealer and I had to drive the tech around and more or less convince him something was wrong. In the end they decided it was the torque converter, replaced it under warranty and the burban drove fantastic for the next 120K til we sold it.

I suppose maybe it could be something with the dfm too but it's weird I've never noticed this before. I feel I am quite in tune with my vehicles and can tell when something is off. Maybe one of the awesome lifters is starting to collapse or something.
I am the same way I can tell the very slightest difference, amazing some people cannot
how long ago was the fuel pump work?

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the paperwork we got it back from the dealer exactly 3 weeks ago

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the paperwork we got it back from the dealer exactly 3 weeks ago
you might try cleaning the intake and a new air filter and maybe throw some injector cleaner in it and see if it goes away. if not then maybe try connecting a halfway decent scanner and do some drive recordings and see if anything out of the ordinary shows up in the data

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dumped in a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and installed a K&N panel filter (stock filter looked like it was brand new) the other day but haven't really driven the vehicle much yet. Will be making a couple hour round trip this morning so should get a good feel if anything has changed or not

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dumped in a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and installed a K&N panel filter (stock filter looked like it was brand new) the other day but haven't really driven the vehicle much yet. Will be making a couple hour round trip this morning so should get a good feel if anything has changed or not
injector cleaner will take some time to work it's not a instant fix, might take a few tank fulls
a quicker method would be a injector service, presuming it is the cause there would be a noticeable difference afterwards
it's worth noting as well that unless you have put a lot of miles on this thing already then it is likely not the problem

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trip today was around 235 miles, mostly freeway above 70mph and I just can't tell if it's acting up or not. On the freeway it's totally fine but around town I still feel a slight shutter here and there but certainly not all the time, or as bad as it was doing it when I posted this. Maybe it is just the dfm kicking in and I've just never really noticed it before...or maybe I'm just paranoid