Stuck Tubing in Oil Dipstick Engine Port- PROBLEM SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED

After a lot of twisting and pulling, I was able to free the tube from the dipstick hole. I have no idea what it was hung up on and it certainly sucked more time from my day than anticipated but it's done, oil and filter changed and ready to go again.

Thanks for looking and considering this issue even if you didn't have any solutions. This forum is always great for quick replies when needed. Cheers.

IMG_6361.JPG

I was using a Vacuum Oil Extractor which I have used before to pull some oil out before I drained the remaining oil by unscrewing the oil pan drain plug.

This time, the plastic tubing got stuck inside the dipstick engine port. I removed the metal dipstick holder by unbolting the bracket and pulling the holder out of the engine. The plastic tube remained stuck inside the lower part of the engine.

I have tried twisting and gently pulling but it feels like the tubing is stuck between some metal parts. I have looked for schematics of what parts might be grabbing the tubing but have been unable to find anything that indicates what is in that lower section of the engine.

Before I start yanking and possibly bending some fragile engine components, can anyone offer some guidance on what could be holding this tubing up and risks of pulling the tubing out with force? To be fair, I have giving the tubing some pretty good pulls and twists within my comfort level that I wouldn't break or bend anything from the pulling. Without knowing more, I am a bit hesitant to pull any harder.

Thanks for your help. Until I get this tubing out, the truck is stuck in the garage and awaiting new oil, new filter, dipstick holder to be reinstalled, etc, and cannot be driven until I sort this out.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

Reaction score
I'm not even going to ask why you were sucking oil out prior to draining it.............

There is a windage tray in the deep part of the pan (at least on my 96 and 97 Vortec's), and it could be the hose end slid under the tray and the sharpish edge of the tray now has "grabbed" the hose.

Possibly get a thin, but stiff, rod in the hose, and pull/push the hose towards the front of the motor to get the hose away from the sharp edge.

Or pull the pan. But give yourself a full day to do the job unless you're familiar with the procedure.

OP
OP
My99Yukon

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I got it free so no all good. The reason is probably a poorly thought out hang over from my previous range rover where this is the preferred procedure. I reasoned that the mess would be lower, which it was, but in the Rover, the filter is up top so it really negates the benefit by trying to use a vacuum exchange on the Yukon. Lesson learned. Time to "LetGo" the vacuum pump. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26