STUCK ON THE ROAD- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
I did use the 4x4 yesterday. And after it acted up.

But I did try popping it in and out again.

made it home safe with no snags. Definitely will have to check the rear diff.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did use the 4x4 yesterday. And after it acted up.

But I did try popping it in and out again.

made it home safe with no snags. Definitely will have to check the rear diff.
You can pick up a cheap laser thermometer from harbor freight and check all 4 brake temps after a drive to rule that in or out

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Good idea on the thermometer. And interesting the cat might make sense as I heard the exhaust sounded a tad different. Also I recall reading blinking SES means current condition is causing damage to the cat.

Ran the code scanner today

I get a misfire P0300- which I’ve had checked out and they found nothing.

P1433 Fuel level sensor circuit high input (second tank)

C0265- Valve relay cool circuit open- the ABS light has been on since I bought it, and I’m aware it doesn’t work.

Previous owner said he was done trying to find the issues, I saw it was a bit crusty down below and figured it was the ground. Sure enough the ground is definitely corroded, I’ll fix that.

but other than that she runs like a top.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
He said he brought it to the dealer.

To be honest I got the truck cheap enough to not really worry about it.

I knew what I was potentially getting into, I can sell it for at least what I paid including some repairs done, despite putting 20k miles on it.

Greg Gant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming an AWD, the front diff may be binding without being engaged by the transfer case. A bad front diff bearing may cause a misalignment with one or both of the half shafts and carrier putting a drag on the vehicle. Usually you would here the drag, but maybe not.

JeffL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The previous owner removed the parking brake? How long ago was that? And why would he do that? Did he remove the cable? Or the drum too? Sounds like your parking brake is grabbing due to the reason he removed it.

Hey guys, I’m here stuck in my truck on the side of the road so any input is greatly appreciated. I’m 4 miles from my mechanic, so I’m wondering if I can just drive it...

Anyway, The coolant is right at the fill line, however I noticed I had vac lock when I tried to unscrew the cap.

As I was driving I noticed I had to give it more gas just to keep maintaining speed. I guess that’s power loss?

The temperature gauge never went passed a tick under 210.

what I found weird is that even if I put it in neutral the truck slows down very quickly. I’m wondering if there’s a brake stuck or something?

The previous owner remove the parking brake, so there’s nothing that should be stopping it in that sense.

I check the tranny fluid and it’s still red, so at least there’s fluid in there. Obviously could be a transmission issue that I wouldn’t be able to see from the fluid.

but what would cause the truck to still have so much resistance, even if I pulled it out of gear?

I have to give it a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse, it rolls forward easier. But even still there’s no coasting at all.

could it have to do with the brakes needing to be bled?

Yesterday I pulled up to my buddies house and basically had the same issue. That’s when I popped off the coolant cap, replaced it, sat around for a few cold ones, and it rolled home nice and smooth. Granted, that was only about a mile home.

I appreciate any insights, as I know very little about troubleshooting these things.

Joes18Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m here stuck in my truck on the side of the road so any input is greatly appreciated. I’m 4 miles from my mechanic, so I’m wondering if I can just drive it...

Anyway, The coolant is right at the fill line, however I noticed I had vac lock when I tried to unscrew the cap.

As I was driving I noticed I had to give it more gas just to keep maintaining speed. I guess that’s power loss?

what I found weird is that even if I put it in neutral the truck slows down very quickly. I’m wondering if there’s a brake stuck or something?

The previous owner remove the parking brake, so there’s nothing that should be stopping it in that sense.

I check the tranny fluid and it’s still red, so at least there’s fluid in there. Obviously could be a transmission issue that I wouldn’t be able to see from the fluid.

but what would cause the truck to still have so much resistance, even if I pulled it out of gear?

I have to give it a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse, it rolls forward easier. But even still there’s no coasting at all.

Yesterday I pulled up to my buddies house and basically had the same issue. That’s when I popped off the coolant cap, replaced it, sat around for a few cold ones, and it rolled home nice and smooth. Granted, that was only about a mile home.

I appreciate any insights, as I know very little about troubleshooting these things.

Sounds very likely that you have/had a stuck caliper. Same thing happened to my ‘07 Suburban. Engine temp most likely fine and not causing your issue.

Frank Long

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Sounds like the brake booster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy