STUCK ON THE ROAD- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
The previous owner removed the parking brake? How long ago was that? And why would he do that? Did he remove the cable? Or the drum too? Sounds like your parking brake is grabbing due to the reason he removed it.
Unrelated to this guy, but the parking brake on my 2001 disintegrated some years ago, causing lots of grinding and such. I decided I never used it so I just cleared out all the loose and broken bits and went on about my life. Yes I regretted it years later when my brake lines rusted out as they all do on these trucks, but the Yukon and I survived that incident as well despite the unfortunate fact that I was towing a boat at the moment of failure. Oops.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
That above (disintegrated) reason is why he removed it. He did new brake lines when he did that as well so we’re good there.

I’ll get it in to the shop and see what they have to say about it. I don’t have anywhere I could work on it anyway.

thanks for all the input guys, greatly appreciated! I’ll post back when we find out, and see who wins this episode of Car Guys.

Mark Shipley

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m here stuck in my truck on the side of the road so any input is greatly appreciated. I’m 4 miles from my mechanic, so I’m wondering if I can just drive it...

Anyway, The coolant is right at the fill line, however I noticed I had vac lock when I tried to unscrew the cap.

As I was driving I noticed I had to give it more gas just to keep maintaining speed. I guess that’s power loss?

The temperature gauge never went passed a tick under 210.

what I found weird is that even if I put it in neutral the truck slows down very quickly. I’m wondering if there’s a brake stuck or something?

The previous owner remove the parking brake, so there’s nothing that should be stopping it in that sense.

I check the tranny fluid and it’s still red, so at least there’s fluid in there. Obviously could be a transmission issue that I wouldn’t be able to see from the fluid.

but what would cause the truck to still have so much resistance, even if I pulled it out of gear?

I have to give it a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse, it rolls forward easier. But even still there’s no coasting at all.

could it have to do with the brakes needing to be bled?

Yesterday I pulled up to my buddies house and basically had the same issue. That’s when I popped off the coolant cap, replaced it, sat around for a few cold ones, and it rolled home nice and smooth. Granted, that was only about a mile home.

I appreciate any insights, as I know very little about troubleshooting these things.
front hubs locked up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288