STUCK ON THE ROAD- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m here stuck in my truck on the side of the road so any input is greatly appreciated. I’m 4 miles from my mechanic, so I’m wondering if I can just drive it...

Anyway, The coolant is right at the fill line, however I noticed I had vac lock when I tried to unscrew the cap.

As I was driving I noticed I had to give it more gas just to keep maintaining speed. I guess that’s power loss?

The temperature gauge never went passed a tick under 210.

what I found weird is that even if I put it in neutral the truck slows down very quickly. I’m wondering if there’s a brake stuck or something?

The previous owner remove the parking brake, so there’s nothing that should be stopping it in that sense.

I check the tranny fluid and it’s still red, so at least there’s fluid in there. Obviously could be a transmission issue that I wouldn’t be able to see from the fluid.

but what would cause the truck to still have so much resistance, even if I pulled it out of gear?

I have to give it a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse, it rolls forward easier. But even still there’s no coasting at all.

could it have to do with the brakes needing to be bled?

Yesterday I pulled up to my buddies house and basically had the same issue. That’s when I popped off the coolant cap, replaced it, sat around for a few cold ones, and it rolled home nice and smooth. Granted, that was only about a mile home.

I appreciate any insights, as I know very little about troubleshooting these things.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Check engine light on? Have a scanner with you that can read tranny codes? Smell anything? Brakes, coolant or tranny fluid?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you your coolant isn't flowing the temperature gauge could be wrong. i can't think of anything relating to the cooling that would cause a lack of power besides your already dangerously overheated. brakes shouldn't be a problem unless you were recently doing work on the brakes. was the parking brakr cable removed or the whole parking brake assembly? the parking brake assembly helps keep the brakes its attached to adjusted properly. if they aren't adjusted properly they wont hangup but they also aren't doing anything.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
I do have a BlueDriver scanner on me, it registered over temp yesterday, but nothing today.

I know I have a power steering leak, and I’m pretty sure that’s what I see down below.

I don’t know smells enough, but it definitely smells very metallic.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m here stuck in my truck on the side of the road so any input is greatly appreciated. I’m 4 miles from my mechanic, so I’m wondering if I can just drive it...

Anyway, The coolant is right at the fill line, however I noticed I had vac lock when I tried to unscrew the cap.

As I was driving I noticed I had to give it more gas just to keep maintaining speed. I guess that’s power loss?

The temperature gauge never went passed a tick under 210.

what I found weird is that even if I put it in neutral the truck slows down very quickly. I’m wondering if there’s a brake stuck or something?

The previous owner remove the parking brake, so there’s nothing that should be stopping it in that sense.

I check the tranny fluid and it’s still red, so at least there’s fluid in there. Obviously could be a transmission issue that I wouldn’t be able to see from the fluid.

but what would cause the truck to still have so much resistance, even if I pulled it out of gear?

I have to give it a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse, it rolls forward easier. But even still there’s no coasting at all.

could it have to do with the brakes needing to be bled?

Yesterday I pulled up to my buddies house and basically had the same issue. That’s when I popped off the coolant cap, replaced it, sat around for a few cold ones, and it rolled home nice and smooth. Granted, that was only about a mile home.

I appreciate any insights, as I know very little about troubleshooting these things.

Could be something up with torque converter but probably a stuck caliper. Drive it slow.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
The previous owner said it rusted out so he removed it, however I’ve been driving it for 20,000 miles without any issues.

So I just started it up again and now I have very little if any rolling resistance and I am cruising along at 40 miles an hour.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
You know you’re probably right on a stuck caliper, as the pedal felt weird when I jammed on it. It didn’t have much give it all to it.

Maybe a thermostat? Wouldn’t thermostats be stuck open if they are faulty?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kinda of mpg are you seeing

average is 10.25MPG on fuellly

those 6.0 suck up a lotta fuel

I know if run M4 v8 only mode i only get 12.8MPG in the city here

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Normally I get right around 11, but I could tell for sure I’m not gonna get anywhere near that as there’s definitely a caliper stuck or something like that.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I get right around 11, but I could tell for sure I’m not gonna get anywhere near that as there’s definitely a caliper stuck or something like that.
9 to 11 is the typical acceptable range 10.25 is the average..

i would check the rear diff as well

(try with 4x4 off if equipped)

Last edited: