Stuck in park!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I would have to press the brake pedel real hard to get it out of park. Sometimes turning the ign on and off would help a few times too. today tried for fifteen minutes before it released. got so mad i bent the shift lever, when it is locked it will not release no mater how hard I try. Is there ANY WAY to bypass this switch?? There just has to be a way!! Thank you sun lit for all the info as well.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

My tahoe is a 95 and I too am not hearing any kind of a sound when shifting out of park. A few years ago I took off the brake pedal to have the bushing welded, thats the one that is peened from the factory and yes mine had a bunch of side play which was very annoying. The job of getting the pedal off was a nightmare that you could not imagine. I never had the "stuck in park" problem till after I worked on the brake pedal. To think I have to tear into the steering and replace a 75.00 switch is even more annoying. How can a person Bypass this, is it really not possible?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
No one has tried to my knowledge but due to liability concerns I would assume if you took of the solenoid the mechanism still on the column would spring load into locked position. very easy to get to tho. no need to tear the whole thing down. just the two covers iirc. when in park you tap the brake pedal enough to make your brake lights come on is when you would hear a quiet clicking sound form the column.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'd have to 2nd the brake switch or harness, my brake switch was responsible for at least 3 issues when i bought my truck, no cruise, no lights, and the shift interlock solenoid didn't engage at all. once I replaced it and soldered the harness back up all 3 started working properly.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks sunlit and chaingun for your insight. When I did the brake pedal bushing nightmare years ago I broke the little plastic tab that holds the brake switch in place. I replaced it at that time. I was glad they are not very expensive. This must be the brake switch you guys are talking about?. I thought it was just for the brake lights. Your right about just having to remove the plastic covers to get at all the parts. There is a steel bracket you can remove that gives you even more room. I will leave the lower panel cover off for awhile until I feel comfortable it is fixed. And like you said S L C with a few basic tools in your truck you should be able to get yourself going if it ever happens again.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time getting mine off. Ended up removing the entire column. of course I replaced my evo sensor and the harness at the same time I also installed my steering wheel controls and new clock spring at the same time so it was worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Thanks sunlit and chaingun for your insight. When I did the brake pedal bushing nightmare years ago I broke the little plastic tab that holds the brake switch in place. I replaced it at that time. I was glad they are not very expensive. This must be the brake switch you guys are talking about?. I thought it was just for the brake lights. Your right about just having to remove the plastic covers to get at all the parts. There is a steel bracket you can remove that gives you even more room. I will leave the lower panel cover off for awhile until I feel comfortable it is fixed. And like you said S L C with a few basic tools in your truck you should be able to get yourself going if it ever happens again.

The brake switch in fact interfaces with the brake light, torque converter lock-up, cruise control and shift interlock systems.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake sensor definitely. Exact thing happened to me. Sometimes the little metal sprung ring that goes around it comes off and causes it to slip off after a couple of pushes on the brake pedal. It all attached to the brake if you lay underneath the console

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Yeah I should of known it turns off the cruise control. After a few days of parking the truck in neutral with the key in it and the indicator light on, I shifted it into park after doing no more than removing the lower plastic panel and pushing down the brake pedal a few times to make sure I had brake lights coming on. It shifts out of park just as it should with light pressure on the brake pedal. I shifted it in and out of park about four times and it works fine now. I am surprised I didnt damage something considering how hard I pulled on the shifter. If it locks up again I'll try a few new parts.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I know all about the "sprung ring". Dont drive your truck to the auto store if you have broken that ring trying to get it off like I did. I even bought an extra ring I keep in the console just in case. That "sprung ring" should never "just come off". If you had one come off someone at one time tried to remove it and damaged it like I did and then instead of running to the auto store or the hardware store or the parts department they just re-used it.

Last edited:

99Vortec

Reaction score
Mine is soooo touchy. I have to basically just rest my foot on the brake pedal. (If I press to hard/too far, I can hear it engage and then disengage and it won't move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts