Stuck in park!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

My shifter wants to stick in park...it makes to be a big pain the arse when this happens at McDonalds! LOL!

It wont move..I mess with it trying to get it go into gear but the shifter wont move...Then from no apparent reason it sets itself free and comes out of park..

What would cause this?

:hmmm2:

Thanks, Dave

cowboyzr2

Reaction score
I had a similar issue on my old truck. Had to pump the brakes several times before it would release. It was the brake safety switch that released the gearshift when the brake was applied.

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be ur shift cable... This happen 2 me and my shift cable snapped its a simple fix... But that the time I took it 2 a shop and had it replaced... It lookd simple enough anyways...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
before shifting you must depress the brake to release the interlock in the steering column. do you hear it actuating when depressing the brake?

OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I just had another "episode"with the "stuck in park" shifter..

When I left the house it worked fine..I drove about 2 miles to pick up a bearing for a Mazda and when I came out to leave the shifter wouldn't move...

I made sure to press the brakes multiple times..still stuck.
This went on for a good 5 mins..until I had to get out of the truck before I made a scene..:shrug:

Tried it againg in a couple of minutes and it was fine..went right in to gear..

I haven't noticed a sound of the safety switch engaging..

Thanks for all the feedback! Dave.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yeah it is possible the interlock or brake switch may be malfunctioning.

if the actuator is the one at fault then its part number is gm 26097679 and sells for a $75. you likely will not need the fixture too i think it is mainly to hold the column up but is usually not needed.

gc99ckbody_2-162a

A/T Shift Lock Control - Disassemble DISASSEMBLY PROCEDURE

• Tools Required
  • J 41352 Modular Column Holding Fixture

Removed pic

1. Set the steering column into J 41352.

Removed pic

1. Use a screwdriver to pry the electrical BTSI actuator from the steering column jacket assembly.

A/T Shift Lock Control - Assemble ASSEMBLY PROCEDURE

• Tools Required
  • J 41352 Modular Column Holding Fixture

Removed pic

1. Install the electrical BTSI actuator.
  2. Put the column in the neutral position.

Removed pic

1. Adjust the electrical BTSI actuator.
3.1. Pull the tab (1) out on the block side (2) of the electrical BTSI actuator. 3.2. Press on the adjuster block (2) to compress the internal adjuster spring to disengage the adjuster teeth. Slide the adjuster block as far away from the solenoid as possible. 3.3. Lock in place by pushing the tab (1) back in.
  1. Inspect the electrical BTSI actuator.
4.1. The electrical BTSI actuator must lock the gear shift lever when it is put into the park position. 4.2. When the column is installed in the vehicle you will not be able to shift the gear shift lever out of the park position without pressing on the brake pedal. The solenoid will be energized. 4.3. Readjust if needed.

1. Take the column out from J41352.

Last edited:

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
Mine just recently did something similar. Wouldn't let me take the key out of my truck and the little orange gear indicator light wouldn't go off. Had to take it out of park and back in to make it spit my key out.

OP
OP
bigblackhoe

bigblackhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Sunlitcomet..thank you sir for the info and diagrams!

Dave.

blairian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting issue - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I would be thinking its a bad actuator or switch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts