Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

You would need to get a set of resistors to plug into the Auto Ride Control harnesses so you don’t get an error message.
That’s one of the nice things about the Arnotts- they have the resistors built-in with a compatible plug that connects to the factory harness as I believe you’re aware of. I wanted the OP to know. @Peter Nelson the factory shocks have auto damping which changes the damping rate electronically thus the need for resistors or else you need the shocks which have this feature.

TahoeLife_00795

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe LT w/o electronic suspension. I recently put 33x12 Federal Couragia MT's and a Zone Front End leveling kit to eliminate factory rake and also to fit those 33x12's. I am looking to upgrade my front shocks, and would like to go with Bilstein 5100 series. Some sites say it will NOT fit my year/make/model and other sites say they DO fit!? Very deceiving as I cannot find if they will work or not, would hate to purchase and have to send them back. I would like to eliminate the zone leveling kit. And replace with shocks like Bilstein 5100 series that will give me the height I'm looking for. I also was considering Bilstein 4600 series, but I would have to keep the Zone leveling kit and those are yellow (would rather have the shiny Silver Bilstein 5100's). Anybody running into the same situation? What route is better for me? I don't go offroad, and is my daily driver. Looking for stiffness around turn ramps, I do like to go fast. But not really looking for performance, as I'm looking for more of a comfortable ride but better then stock. Thank you, and looking forward to y'alls input. Stay healthy, stay safe!

TAHOE.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I can't help you with the specifics on the Bilsteins other than to tell you that a lot of guys around here seem to run them and like them.

I put Rancho 9 way adjustable struts on the front of mine because I wanted to firm up the ride and I am quite pleased.

Mine is a different animal all together from yours though, as mine is lowered 4/6,
rps20200426_124007_653.jpg

but I know that Rancho offers struts for these rigs that are stock height up to 4" over height.

I assume your zone kit is just spacers under the strut.

In order to get rid of the strut spacers you could probably add rings, around the strut body, under the lower coil spring mount in order to lift the coil spring higher up on the strut body... but this would increase the preload on the springs and make the ride stiffer.

Alternatively you could probably order the 4" over height struts and install your springs on them and then install the strut with the lower mount BELOW the lower control arm which would, in effect, take away 2" of the 4" lift, leaving you the other 2" as your leveling "kit", and probably ride a lot better.

Like this...
rps20200426_123411_862.jpg

If you do decide to mount the struts under the control arms you absolutely NEED to use the Grade 9 hardware that Rough Country sells so you don't shear off a bolt.

Grade 9 hardware...
rps20200426_123655_612.jpg

I know this isn't specifically what you asked about but just thought I would give you some other options to think about.

The 9 way adjustable Ranchos are nice because you can soften them or firm them up to your liking.

*** EDIT ***

I just did some more digging and I guess Rancho makes a "quick lift" strut that levels the front end...

Part number RS999901 that has the 9 way adjustable struts already assembled with springs which is pretty convenient. Supposed to lift the front 2" I believe.

Last edited:

Ferdie Yolo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help please. I have a 2016 Suburban LTZ with autoride and auto leveling, I had a couple questions with which fuses to pull to eliminate the auto leveling. I recently purchase Belltech 1020sp lowering suspension and drop spindles. I also did the trick with the resistors to spoof the magnetic ride. Has anyone else ran into a problem with the strut top mount? it seems like either the Belltech struts have a wider diameter, or would I have to purchase non magnetic ride top mounts for it to fit the Belltech??? Thanks

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help please. I have a 2016 Suburban LTZ with autoride and auto leveling, I had a couple questions with which fuses to pull to eliminate the auto leveling. I recently purchase Belltech 1020sp lowering suspension and drop spindles. I also did the trick with the resistors to spoof the magnetic ride. Has anyone else ran into a problem with the strut top mount? it seems like either the Belltech struts have a wider diameter, or would I have to purchase non magnetic ride top mounts for it to fit the Belltech??? Thanks

I would go to the 2015 + Forum and ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14