Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe LTZ. I want to replace the shocks and struts with bilstein, I want them to be the stock ride height. I’m confused on which set will fit. The 5100’s dont look like they come with the coil spring already mounted on them. How does all this work?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tahoe LTZ. I want to replace the shocks and struts with bilstein, I want them to be the stock ride height. I’m confused on which set will fit. The 5100’s dont look like they come with the coil spring already mounted on them. How does all this work?

Shocks and struts from Bilstein will be sold separately from the springs. The 5100s or the 4600s can maintain stock height. They are valved differently for different conditions. What kind of ride are you after? Different springs can also affect height and ride.

OP
OP
Peter Nelson

Peter Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shocks and struts from Bilstein will be sold separately from the springs. The 5100s or the 4600s can maintain stock height. They are valved differently for different conditions. What kind of ride are you after? Different springs can also affect height and ride.
Well, I don’t want it to be a weak flimsy suspension, but for sure looking for a real smooth ride, it’s an LTZ, used to pull a small boat and a 16ft trailer here and there, but mostly just used for myself and my son and wife. Live in MN so 4wd is used often in the winter, not really into taking it on any serious off road adventures, maybe camping sometimes but really just looking for a smoother ride. Would you be able to direct me towards the struts and springs that would be best for what I just described?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Well, I don’t want it to be a weak flimsy suspension, but for sure looking for a real smooth ride, it’s an LTZ, used to pull a small boat and a 16ft trailer here and there, but mostly just used for myself and my son and wife. Live in MN so 4wd is used often in the winter, not really into taking it on any serious off road adventures, maybe camping sometimes but really just looking for a smoother ride. Would you be able to direct me towards the struts and springs that would be best for what I just described?

A lot of guys can speak first hand better than I, for sure. Let's see if we can get some.
@iamdub @rgosart @Rocket Man

General knowledge says the 4600s are a softer, smoother ride on stock and lowered trucks, and the 5100s are a little stiffer on road, better on lifted trucks and rough terrain. The 5100s are adjustable for a few inches of lift. Specific valving info / actual differences is contested online.

Springs, in my research, cone down to three options (this assumes no auto leveling air ride or mrc shocks/ struts).
1. Stock LS,LT,LXT springs
2. Z71 springs. These offer a little extra height and stiffer rear ride.
3. Custom or "other" vehicle springs.

When it comes to towing, the extra Z71 springs can be nice, but some guys dont like the rake, so "helper" airbags can be an option, as well.

All said, theres quite a bit of play room here.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
2010 LTZ should most definitely have the Z55 "Autoride" and most likely the G69 "Auto leveling" rear shocks. Check your RPO list on the sticker in the glove box to be sure.

Are you trying to eliminate the auto leveling rear suspension?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa, Peter.

Not much I can add to what has already been mentioned by Nate and Ken.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2010 LTZ should most definitely have the Z55 "Autoride" and most likely the G69 "Auto leveling" rear shocks. Check your RPO list on the sticker in the glove box to be sure.

Are you trying to eliminate the auto leveling rear suspension?

Oh jeez... meant to tag you, too. Good call.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not real familiar with the struts used on this platform. We need to know which factory suspension you have to start with- like @kbuskill said Z55 or G69 or exactly what is in there. I’m running Bilstein 4600’s in the front of my 02 but they’re not struts, it’s torsion bar. Bilstein is quality stuff though. I know you can replace just the shock portion of the struts but you need to borrow a tool to compress the spring.

OP
OP
Peter Nelson

Peter Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a macpherson spring compressor kit. How would I find out? Would you like some pictures? And how do the 4600’s ride? Also I believe there is a torsion bar.