Stream Audio only to stock stereo - Crux BTS-GM1X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for a good solution to be able to stream music from my phone into my stock stereo.

Mine is a 2009 LTZ Tahoe so I have the nav, backup camera, xm, et al. I already have the ability to connect my phone via bluetooth to the OnStar system for making and taking phone calls.

Currently I've been using the aux in but it's a pain in the butt to keep connecting and disconnecting that cable. Plus it's ugly.

Someone on here noted that you can pair with two different bluetooth devices; one for phone and the other for streaming music. Cha-CHING. I didn't know that. I found a bluetooth device that connects to the aux in and so I don't have to worry about batteries, has a 12v adapter for the power ports on the dash. Not all that cool since those are always on and I don't feel like rewiring them to be switched.

Continuing to search I came across this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249BTSGM1X/Crux-BTS-GM1X-Bluetooth-Interface.html On the surface it's exactly what I need.

I'm wondering if anyone has messed with this yet and what kind of experience did you have?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the overwhelming response to this question I decided to go for it.

Here's the entire unit and it's box and instructions.
Stream-1-1024x768.jpg

The whole installation took seconds.

Release the glove box;
Stream-2-1024x768.jpg

Locate the XM unit, pull the stock plug, install the new harness that came with the unit between the XM unit and its plug. Plug in the new connector off the harness to the black box and cable tie things out of the way. Close up the glovebox, pair my phone to the black box, and select the new streaming on my XM menu.

Stream-5-1024x768.jpg

It's sweet. Now my phone can stay in my pocket. I can stream music from my phone and if I want to hear Waze tell me where to go I can still put it in my phone holder and now I don't have to connect the aux cable.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it stay connected or do have manually pair it every time you enter the vehicle?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It stays paired. Not only that but if I've left Pandora up on my phone but not running it pairs very quickly and starts playing music. I've used Waze, made and received phone calls through the stock hands free setup. It all works perfectly. This is great though it doesn't show what's playing on screen; there's no built in app on this 2009 stereo.

If you're listening to something with tracks you supposedly can ue steering wheel controls to change tracks.

Pat in Tennessee

Reaction score
Won't the steering wheel controls change channels? When your phone is paired to this, can you still listen to XM stations?

Interesting device. Keep us updated. I might get one because my wife likes to play music from her phone and currently using a rechargeable Bluetooth dongle plugging into the line in jack.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions tell you that a long press on the scan down button swaps between bluetooth and xm.

Pat in Tennessee

Reaction score
Due to the overwhelming response to this question I decided to go for it.

Here's the entire unit and it's box and instructions.
Stream-1-1024x768.jpg

The whole installation took seconds.

Release the glove box;
Stream-2-1024x768.jpg

Locate the XM unit, pull the stock plug, install the new harness that came with the unit between the XM unit and its plug. Plug in the new connector off the harness to the black box and cable tie things out of the way. Close up the glovebox, pair my phone to the black box, and select the new streaming on my XM menu.

Stream-5-1024x768.jpg

It's sweet. Now my phone can stay in my pocket. I can stream music from my phone and if I want to hear Waze tell me where to go I can still put it in my phone holder and now I don't have to connect the aux cable.
What did your XM unit look like and where about behind the glove box is it?

I've swung my glovebox down and took a look but didn't see anything obvious.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stream-3-1024x768.jpg

That's it on the right in silver. The plug on the bottom left is where you plug the harness in and reconnect the other end of the harness to the original plug. No cutting.

Reaction score
Stream-3-1024x768.jpg

That's it on the right in silver. The plug on the bottom left is where you plug the harness in and reconnect the other end of the harness to the original plug. No cutting.
Mine's not there. I even just went out to double check. Nothing there except that screen/filter up high there. I looked around with a light also and can't find anything like that under the dash. I have the navigation type stereo like yours, but I know starting in 2012 they went to a hard drive based head unit instead of dvd. Maybe mine is built into the radio?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st