Strange sound i cant explain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This same thing started on my 2009 Hybrid about a week ago (217k miles) first noticed a loud buzzing noise in the rear speakers when hitting the brakes, radio was still working normally and no other symptoms, just a loud buzzing fom the rear speakers. I turned the radio off and on a few times and it stopped, then a few days later when using the blinker it did it again. Seems like it is something to do with with the exterior lighting (brake lights and blinker) If it keeps doing it I will be able to gather more information. This Hybrid has the Bose system with rear radio controls and DVD system. I do haul around 3 young kids and they are always fiddling with rear controls so maybe they have done something just not sure what it could be? Not a major issue but very annoying.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Yukon Hybrid and have experienced a similar problem. This only happens randomly about once a month. The radio becomes silent and there is a really loud buzzing / feedback type of noise from all the speakers. It lasts only for one second but is quite startling. The radio then comes back and everything seems to work fine. The lights and dashboard lighting seems unaffected. I am not always using the brake when this happens.

I mentioned it to the dealer but he said he had never heard of that problem. I figured I can live with it.

Kal.

P.S. Are those Seadoos on your Hybrid?
mine makes the buzzing sound on a very specific song
on the CD I just skip that song on it

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This same thing started on my 2009 Hybrid about a week ago (217k miles) first noticed a loud buzzing noise in the rear speakers when hitting the brakes, radio was still working normally and no other symptoms, just a loud buzzing fom the rear speakers. I turned the radio off and on a few times and it stopped, then a few days later when using the blinker it did it again. Seems like it is something to do with with the exterior lighting (brake lights and blinker) If it keeps doing it I will be able to gather more information. This Hybrid has the Bose system with rear radio controls and DVD system. I do haul around 3 young kids and they are always fiddling with rear controls so maybe they have done something just not sure what it could be? Not a major issue but very annoying.
i would check the ground wires honestly it sounds like a "open or high impedance ground" and it found a "path via the speakers" this can cause an electrical fire if too much current was to take this path... the least you will have blown speakers and a broken headunit and the worst being a fire and no brakes...( don't panic of you lose them Remember Shift in to engine braking will be above M4 "45mph" m3 "35mph" m2 "25mph" m1 "10mph" regen and your ebrake will bring you to a stop )

the speakers tend to be a low impedance path 2-8 ohms

2 or 4ohms is typical..

or it's interference from poor ground connection

you know check the battery terminal
the engine block (the cable the connects to the battery) and from the rear of the engine to the chassis and the inverter from the chassis to the inverter (it's a real beefy cable , a bare cable it's just right below the inverter )

See all these dirty ground connections :( the impedance is so high it has no issue draining the battery in about 4 days

20191118_115023.jpg 20191118_114931.jpg 20191118_114732.jpg 20191118_114725.jpg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be the aspirator fan above you that thing makes buzzing noise

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this hum you speak of might also be coming from the transmission Aux pump it uses a 3 Phase 12 volt AC motor and the radio might be picking up the 60Hz buzz from it.

and since the radio is technically is always "on" it will emit the sound ..

More then likely it's the 12volt 3 phase AC motor apparently it's Tied into the 12V DC system from what i have read... :D

which is why one would need a VERY strong 12volt battery to run this machine...sure that AUX pump pulls quite a bit of power... estimated about 0.7-1.2KW?(based on the 8awg wire) i would assume it's closer to 0.7kw as that would be 28-30% of the inverter 12v output..

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to post back the FIX. One of the kids had hung the knob on the rear radio control with their back pack strap and damaged the rear control I replaced the entire unit (amazon about 100 bones) and all fixed now. If you do a thorough search there are several people that figured this out over time. Amazon has plenty of the replacements Git U 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore