Strange Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ligolfer1985

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to start by introducing myself, and apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong subforum. My name is Igor and I have owned a 2007 Tahoe LTZ flex fuel for 7 years now. The Tahoe was originally bought by my sister with a salvage title, it was in a front end wreck. I wound up buying it from her a few years later. When she owned it, the junction block cover was missing and there was a considerable gap between the driver side fender and hood, allowing rainwater to get into the junction box. One day she turned the ignition off and took the keys out, and the engine kept running. I had to pull the fuel pump fuse just to turn it off. I got a new junction block cover from the junkyard, we dried the block out and replaced the fuse and had zero issues for years. Fast forward to this week. It rained overnight, and my Tahoe turned the headlights on by itself in the middle of the night and drained the battery, leaving me stranded in the morning and unable to get to work. After jumping the battery and starting the truck I opened the hood and touched the junction block cover. I heard several relays clicking on and off and the headlights also turning on and off. On days it doesn’t rain this issue never occurs. The next night it rained as well and I repeated the process. Jumped the battery, turned the truck on, and after opening the hood and moving the junction box to try to get the headlights to turn off, the engine turned off by itself. I did order a new junction block from the local Chevy dealer which will arrive Tuesday. My question is, is there anything else that can possibly be causing these issues aside from a faulty junction block? Thank you in advance!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to start by introducing myself, and apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong subforum. My name is Igor and I have owned a 2007 Tahoe LTZ flex fuel for 7 years now. The Tahoe was originally bought by my sister with a salvage title, it was in a front end wreck. I wound up buying it from her a few years later. When she owned it, the junction block cover was missing and there was a considerable gap between the driver side fender and hood, allowing rainwater to get into the junction box. One day she turned the ignition off and took the keys out, and the engine kept running. I had to pull the fuel pump fuse just to turn it off. I got a new junction block cover from the junkyard, we dried the block out and replaced the fuse and had zero issues for years. Fast forward to this week. It rained overnight, and my Tahoe turned the headlights on by itself in the middle of the night and drained the battery, leaving me stranded in the morning and unable to get to work. After jumping the battery and starting the truck I opened the hood and touched the junction block cover. I heard several relays clicking on and off and the headlights also turning on and off. On days it doesn’t rain this issue never occurs. The next night it rained as well and I repeated the process. Jumped the battery, turned the truck on, and after opening the hood and moving the junction box to try to get the headlights to turn off, the engine turned off by itself. I did order a new junction block from the local Chevy dealer which will arrive Tuesday. My question is, is there anything else that can possibly be causing these issues aside from a faulty junction block? Thank you in advance!
well the fuse box should have a cover, this helps prevent water from getting inside.
the "gap" should probably be addressed as well
maybe some photo's of all this would be helpful to get a better idea of what we are looking at here and maybe get some better input from us for idea's