Strange Brake Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jethro3899

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I am experiencing a strange brake light issue on my 2017 GMC Yukon.

The problem is that the brake light on the passenger side doesn’t work during the day, but appears to work just fine at night. The blinker works and the reverse light works, but the brake light doesn’t. Nothing wrong with the driver’s side or the 3rd brake light, just the passenger side.

I will fully admit that perhaps the brake light goes out at random times, but I swear every time I check it at night, it works just fine

I’ve read that you can send the tail lights off to have them repaired, but I was under the impression that was if they quit working altogether. I assume that service wouldn’t help with my issue, would it?

Just an odd issue for it to seem to work at night, but not during the day.

Has anyone heard of this issue, or am I possibly experiencing an intermittent issue and we’ve only noticed it during the day time?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone hold th brake and go to the light and firmly press on it or hit it a few times. If the light comes on or flickers. It’s the typical LED board failure. If you’re handy and know how to solder You can do it yourself. Or send it out to one of them companies. I can’t recommend any companies because I fixed my own on my “new to me” 15 Yukon

peddler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have someone hold th brake and go to the light and firmly press on it or hit it a few times. If the light comes on or flickers. It’s the typical LED board failure. If you’re handy and know how to solder You can do it yourself. Or send it out to one of them companies. I can’t recommend any companies because I fixed my own on my “new to me” 15 Yukon
Did you have the same daytime (doesn't work) /night time (does work) issue? I understand how a broken circuit that can be resoldered can cause the rear light failure. I'm having a difficult time understanding how a broken circuit that can be resoldered can cause this intermittent issue.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s more in-depth videos that show how to repair yourself. But this one shows you up close the “board”. It’s more like a metal blade and there are small sections that get hairline cracks. They make just enough contact to work at time then driving vibrations cause them to not work other times. I cannot vouch for the daytime night time issue. But even you said yourself

“Has anyone heard of this issue, or am I possibly experiencing an intermittent issue and we’ve only noticed it during the day time?”