Stock Size Tire Rubbing on 22" Denali Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would like to post an awesome into post, but my wife just purchased a 2016 Denali and we put Michelin LTX Defender tires on it. An All season highway tire, so nothing with too aggressive of a profile in stock size.

Now on the (front) passenger side in reverse (and sometimes in drive) the tire rubs near full lock. Rubs on the factory mud flap, and the mud flap doesn't appear to be loose.

I'm starting to wonder if the car we just bought has been in some sort of accident, but I spent years in the car business and can typically tell if a car's had paintwork just looking at it (especially a black car) and there's no visible paint work on this car and clean car fax and it's never left the state, so it'd be highly unlikely to be hiding a major wreck.

Car alignment from feel, feels fine, old tires on it didn't rub and were near the end of their life, and didn't show any unusual wear.

So I'm a bit at odds as to why a stock size tire would rub, and hoping you guys might be able to shed some light.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali. Stock OEM 22” x 9” +24 Offset wheels with OEM 285/45/22 Bridgestones, never rubbed at all at any point.

Once my stock Bridgestones were shot I too replaced with 285/45/22 Michelin Defender LTX’s. Mine too occasionally rub up front primarily in reverse at full lock. Hardly ever in drive at full lock, but has before on certain incline angles. I don’t even have mud flaps up front and tires have still rubbed slightly. Enough for me to hear it and enough to wear a hole through my front fender liners.

Not all 285/45/22 size tires are created equal in regards to size between different tire manufacturers.

OP
OP
J

Josh_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali. Stock OEM 22” x 9” +24 Offset wheels with OEM 285/45/22 Bridgestones, never rubbed at all at any point.

Once my stock Bridgestones were shot I too replaced with 285/45/22 Michelin Defender LTX’s. Mine too occasionally rub up front primarily in reverse at full lock. Hardly ever in drive at full lock, but has before on certain incline angles. I don’t even have mud flaps up front and tires have still rubbed slightly. Enough for me to hear it and enough to wear a hole through my front fender liners.

Not all 285/45/22 size tires are created equal in regards to size between different tire manufacturers.

So did I just draw the short stick with regards to the tires I picked?
I shouldn't say full lock, just like they point out in this video it's really 3/4 lock or so. So basically EVERY time you back out of a parking spot. This video shows where it rubs. But this is just a flaw with the design of the vehicle at the end of the day??

TexasDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe Premier with 22” rims and original owner. Replaced the original Bridgestone tires when they got worn with the same Michelin’s you did. The same rubbing started when backing out of the driveway and turning the wheel. I’m just careful and try not to cut as sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Josh_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe Premier with 22” rims and original owner. Replaced the original Bridgestone tires when they got worn with the same Michelin’s you did. The same rubbing started when backing out of the driveway and turning the wheel. I’m just careful and try not to cut as sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sucks... we just bought the car and the tires rub and the trans has the common 1-2 clunk. Not a good start, going to call the dealership in the morning and see if the trans fluid TSB has been done.

The mud flaps seem pretty solid so I'm not sure I could bend them in. I guess it's time for a little hammer work, and/or the die grinder.
I'm pretty handy but I have a rule about not touching my dailies. Hopefully this is simple

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s commonly called the “NorCal Front Fender Mod”.

There are a few videos out there. Mostly of the mod being done in a Silverado/Sierra.

TexasDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This sucks... we just bought the car and the tires rub and the trans has the common 1-2 clunk. Not a good start, going to call the dealership in the morning and see if the trans fluid TSB has been done.

The mud flaps seem pretty solid so I'm not sure I could bend them in. I guess it's time for a little hammer work, and/or the die grinder.
I'm pretty handy but I have a rule about not touching my dailies. Hopefully this is simple

I don't have any clunking when shifting. At least not at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu