Stock muffler internals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Yukon 5.3

Does anyone have pictures of the internals of the stock muffler? I'm trying to work out in my mind how much of a flow restriction is actually is, and if simply swapping in a flow-through muffler will be a meaningful upgrade. TIA

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has about 3 chambers. A borla is the way to go but really not going to give you much HP. The OE mufflers flow well enough. The BB tune is what helps.
Thanks.

I'd rather eliminate the chambers, and go with any straight-through design to remove the restriction, and add a little rumble. I was thinking of ordering something like this to replace the stock muffler:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the OEM exhaust system designs on these trucks allow for sufficient exhaust air flow (no tangible flow restriction) for the entire power curve of the motors. By itself, any change to reduce any perceived obstructions in the OEM exhaust system design won't produce any measurable increase in power.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'd rather eliminate the chambers, and go with any straight-through design to remove the restriction, and add a little rumble. I was thinking of ordering something like this to replace the stock muffler:

That's identical to the one I had originally. It probably IS the same one, made from the same factory, etc. but sold in a Performance Curve box instead of the AP Exhaust box mine came in.

IMO, it's a win, especially at that price. Gives it some bark but doesn't require you to raise your voice to talk and doesn't drone.

This video kinda downplays the sound, but you might get an idea:

Made one a year later to compare "broken-in" sound:

Simple physics tells me there is some amount of mid- and upper-RPM power to be gained with a straight-through muffler. That's not to say that the factory one is a complete cork and that a straight-through muffler would yield anything you'd really feel. But, as with pretty much any factory design, some performance was sacrificed to make the exhaust sound meet certain criteria in volume and note. The sound alone is worth the $57. Well, it'd be a more than that since you'd need about 6" of pipe to make up for the difference in length and if you're paying someone to install it for you. Still, it's cheap thrills.

Oh- as for the stock muffler's internals. This should be applicable to ours:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching that video on the muffler internals there's no way that any aftermarket muffler won't provide a minor boost in flow/performance at the very least.

I look at it as the new muffler will cost a tank of gas, and since I work remotely I've saved up plenty by not getting much gas this year.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching that video on the muffler internals there's no way that any aftermarket muffler won't provide a minor boost in flow/performance at the very least.

The stock muffler flows plenty well at the majority of RPM the engine will be operated at most of its life. With the amount of volume flowing through the system at part throttle cruising, the pipe size and muffler chamber/tube/baffle arrangement is sufficient enough to not be as bad a choke as it appears. It's only a restriction for the air volume flowing through at those times you're flooring it and turning 4,000+ RPM. There's a lot more science to it than that as well as the sound manipulating factors that the engineers had to work into the balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh