Steering wheel swap volume controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to swap my cheap plastic steering wheel with a nice leather wheel. The wheel has the heat option and also volume controls. i know that in older PPVs, 2017 and older, you have to swap out the instrument cluster. Since the 2018+ has the upgraded cluster, is it as simple as just swapping the wheel to get volume control? I know the heated option requires a new clock spring, which I am debating, but anyone know about the volume controls?

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get this question answered, or take a leap of faith and go with the upgraded wheel? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I was going to order replacement wheel switches for our 2018, since the surfaces don't wear well, but thought I'd hold off to see if it is possible to get the volume switches and have them work w/o other updates or BCM programming. I really like the volume controls on our 2010.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten any answers. The parts guys at the dealership don’t know anything. I’ll keep looking. If a clock spring is all it takes to get a heated wheel, I’d do it, but it takes more work like additional wiring, then I’d pass, it’s just not worth it. I’d be happy with just volume controls. I’d love paddle shifters too, but that’s dreaming for now. Right now my dash is in a million pieces so this is the time to get everything done.

9D52596A-8814-41AD-B653-BF4BF0E5469A.jpeg

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten any answers. The parts guys at the dealership don’t know anything. I’ll keep looking. If a clock spring is all it takes to get a heated wheel, I’d do it, but it takes more work like additional wiring, then I’d pass, it’s just not worth it. I’d be happy with just volume controls. I’d love paddle shifters too, but that’s dreaming for now. Right now my dash is in a million pieces so this is the time to get everything done.

View attachment 382394
If it's anything like the older models yup yup clockspring and wheel should be the only thing you need

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d love to get confirmation by someone who actually did the swap

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a Google search, others have done it and it was either posted on this board or the other truck board with pictures and part numbers. Just not sure if it applies to a PPV. I am pretty sure it was steering wheel and clock spring.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With everything before 2018, it was, but with the 2018’s having the upgraded dash, I don’t think it needs a clock spring unless you want a heated wheel

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might reach out to @Texasdaddy and see what has to offer. Sounds like he’s done this.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need heated wheels here. Maybe cooled, but not heated. What I'd like is the radio volume controls on the wheel. I really miss that on the new one. GM says their radio volume control module is 'plug and play', so I may go for it for the better wheel and hope the volume controls work. Gotta get a few pay cycles to get past the bill for the tailgate wire harness and center mount brake light replacement first. Yikes!

@Chickensammy: if it's that far apart, I'd to the clock spring, it won't hurt anything, and, while you're there.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin Case