Steering Wheel Pulls to the Left in Sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h2ocamper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe 4wd with 122k. I drive it on the beach regularly and have recently had issues that the steering wheel pulls hard to the left when driving on the sand while in 4wd. It doesn't do this on (straight) pavement (I don't want to test turning on hard pavement in 4wd).
  • All four tires are the exact same brand, model, size, condition and tire pressure.
  • I have jacked the front end up and tested that both wheels are engaging/disengaging when the 4wd system is turned on/off.
  • No unusual noise/sounds.
  • CV (boots) all appear good.
Any thoughts or suggestion on what might be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this is loose sand im pretty sure its just the one wheel turning more then the other. its not a locker up front one wheel will spin more then the other.

if you dont have a locker rear dif the right rear wheel could also be pushing the front to the left some.

theres no reason why you cant drive in 4 lo on dry pavement. id just avoid tying to take any tight turns.

are you dropping your tire air pressure while on the sand? lower pressure will let the tires stay on top of the sand and not sink as much. fatter foot print deal.

OP
OP
H

h2ocamper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Scott for your response.

• Yes, this is very loose sand.
  • No locker or LS in rear diff.
  • Agree on the dry payment...just no tight turns. Some people don't get that though and think no dry payment never.
  • I definitely drop air pressure to at least 20psi all around.
Part of my concern is I'm not seeing other vehicles going through the same sand exhibiting the same behavior.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you got good old fake 4x4. right rear and left front only driving the truck when the other tires are planted. most fords are like this.

i dont know what was up with my 03 2500 hd. plowing id hit the end and see snow fly from both front tires and left 4 black spots when I backed off. i had a locker in the rear.