Steering Wheel Noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
lol ive watched that vid over and over. haha the sound is dead on

CWgauge

Reaction score
Unbolt your steering shaft from inside the engine. Push it in and out a couple of times,if the noise stops after that it's the shaft. You can do this method for awhile until there is no more grease to lube it up. Then just purchase a Dorman shaft and all good!!

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours does it, when we test drove, they told us it was the intermediate shaft, as stated above. They offered to fix it before we left but I figured more little things would pop up so i decided i'd wait. We also have a tire sensor that drops off on long trips triggering the service tire monitor system light. Its got a GM cert extended warranty on it so I'm just waiting to see what all little details pop up (only had it a month) so it can be done in one trip. If it turns out to be something else, im update but im pretty sure thats what is causing our noise. also we have the clicking in the shaft down low when turning lock to lock, another symptom of a bad shaft from what ive read online.

my question is, how the heck did u find that video that sounds exactly like what it does? haha

OP
OP
zoso59brst

zoso59brst

Reaction score
lol ive watched that vid over and over. haha the sound is dead on

yeah, I thought it pretty much nailed it :D

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Unbolt your steering shaft from inside the engine. Push it in and out a couple of times,if the noise stops after that it's the shaft. You can do this method for awhile until there is no more grease to lube it up. Then just purchase a Dorman shaft and all good!!

That sounds easy enough, thanks. RockAuto has the steering shaft for $40, so for that I may just get it over with. Figured it would be more expensive.

Bossy70

Reaction score
Mine noise ended up being steering gear box.
Dealership first replaced upper intermediate shaft, retaining clip, clock spring, and some airbag module.
Got the stethoscope out and replaced the steering gear box and no noise now for 3 weeks.

MALONE13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did some research and along the steering shaft there is a bolt. I loosened it up while someone was holding the steering wheel straight. I pushed the shaft upwards 20 times towards the steering wheel. I tightened the bolt back and the steering feels solid. No more noise and no more vibration. i believe it has something to do with lubrication internally. It is recommended every 6-7 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts