Steering Wheel Noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't figured mine out yet either, but mine only does it every once in a while. I think I remember it doing it more often when I first bought it.

I doubt it's the intermediate shaft cause the sound is up too close to the actual steering wheel.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. But it may be the steering shaft. That's a fairly common problem on these trucks. I would let a mechanic hear it and see what he has to say.

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
you would be surprised what noises the intermediate steering shaft can make. GM just cant get them right for some reason

Milkman5306

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it a safety hazard to ignore the noise?

I guess I just wanted to know if I have to fix it so it won't fall apart on the interstate and kill me or is it just an annoying noise if left unfixed?

OP
OP
zoso59brst

zoso59brst

Reaction score
Is it a safety hazard to ignore the noise?

I guess I just wanted to know if I have to fix it so it won't fall apart on the interstate and kill me or is it just an annoying noise if left unfixed?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
no it wont fall apart. in fact i drove a tahoe today with the same exact noise. its the intermediate steering shaft. common gm problem. u could try to lube...use lithium grease not wd40.

zaathur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does it on my 02 with 160k also like everyone seas its common my dads 04 duramax did it at 5,000 miles had a recall and all they did was lube the steering shaft but it will come back over time just have to live with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu