Steering wheel controls cheap Android head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emccalment

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to install a cheap head unit on my 2011 Avalanche. Complete base model. No Bose. Long story short, found everything I need except the steering wheel control wires. The android unit is expecting just one or two wires for steering wheel controls. Anyone know where to find those?
I thought it might be Entertainment Remote Enable Signal, or anything else that said Remote Radio, but multimeter reads all those as 0V. Ran across an old post for the previous generation that it was ran through the BCM and they needed to ground one and run one. I have not found a similar post for this generation. Any insight appreciated.

doc5339

Reaction score
Pretty sure this is not what you are looking for, however, it's the best idea I could come with.

I would probably ask a professional installer at Best Buy or a Tint Shop. If there is a simple component, they will probably sell it to you. If it involves running some new wires through the BCM they will probably tell you it's a PITA.

Odds are installers have done thousands of GMT900 head units where the customers want steering wheel controls to work. You could also try reddit under auto audio electronics.

Best of luck and wish I could have actually provided a concise answer.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You likely need a steering wheel control interface. Jump onto Crutchfield.com, enter your vehicle info, select a radio that's similar to yours, and look at the installation materials that are linked/suggested.