Steering Stiff After Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2008 Yukon Denali. When I test drove it the steering was fine. The small town dealer I bought it from (just the owner works there) said he needed to replace the CV joint. So I picked up the vehicle a few days later - during a huge snow storm.

Anyway. the steering is a bit stiff (I have another Yukon to compare it with). I thought about changing the power steering fluid, etc.

Recently, I changed the oil at a shop. My wife said "Wow, the steering is easy like the other one now." So I called the shop and asked if they lubed it or what. The guy said 'probably'. I told him what happened and he said it may be because it was put on a lift and blah, blah.

Well, it started stiffening up after a few days and now it is back to the way it was.

Anyone have any ideas?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check the steering fluid level?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you have some suspension pieces that are getting worn and changing the suspension/steering geometry

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camber/caster changes can make the steering stiff. Toe changes usually make it twitchy or wandery

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing I thought of was to look at the steering shaft knuckle that bolts to the top of the rack and pinion. It is part of the steering shaft. I had the boot rip on my 2008 and it got corroded (luckily only CA corrosion, not midwest salt corrosion). So, I found that it was somewhat stiff and didn't like certain angles.

I cleaned it all out with brake clean and air. Then I sprayed the shit out of it with spray grease and kept moving it in a circle, spraying as needed. It lubed right up and has worked great since. Might be worth checking out.

FYI replacing the boot and clamps is a real treat......can be done though with one person, just have to get creative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN