Steering shaft removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my LH engine mount, and I can't see how to remove this shaft.

Does the upper portion slide into the firewall, or do I need to remove the lower bolt at the steering rack under the boot and remove as a whole unit?

I do have the steering wheel secured.
16769968613855123986859998168007.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my LH engine mount, and I can't see how to remove this shaft.

Does the upper portion slide into the firewall, or do I need to remove the lower bolt at the steering rack under the boot and remove as a whole unit?

I do have the steering wheel secured.
View attachment 392686

Yes, if the steering wheel is straight there is a bolt pointing straight forward under that boot. Here is a vid. I just had mine out to replace that boot.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if the steering wheel is straight there is a bolt pointing straight forward under that boot. Here is a vid. I just had mine out to replace that boot.

Thank you for the video. Very much appreciated. This item is on my to do list.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Late reply but that helped.

Definitely a more cramped area with a front diff in the way, but task complete.

The RH side looks like more of a pain but the LH side was in dire need of replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts