Steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe was hard to turn left with a whining sound. So I changed the power steering well after it was hard to turn right but no whining sound. I went ahead and replaced the hose from power steering pump and the gearbox. Still wis hard to turn right. Next I replaced the gearbox. Now when Tahoe is moving its kind of easy to turn right. I noticed that when I come to a complete stop and turn right it turns easy but when I come to an intersection where I don't need to stop and am turn right it gets hard while slowing down. So what I noticed is when I have foot on brake it is when it is hard to turn right. If anyone knows could it be the hydroboost that's causing the problem?

OP
OP
S

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe was hard to turn left with a whining sound. So I changed the power steering well after it was hard to turn right but no whining sound. I went ahead and replaced the hose from power steering pump and the gearbox. Still wis hard to turn right. Next I replaced the gearbox. Now when Tahoe is moving its kind of easy to turn right. I noticed that when I come to a complete stop and turn right it turns easy but when I come to an intersection where I don't need to stop and am turn right it gets hard while slowing down. So what I noticed is when I have foot on brake it is when it is hard to turn right. If anyone knows could it be the hydroboost that's causing the problem.

OP
OP
S

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found out it was the rebuilt gearbox that was the problem since there was no whining from power steering. Went to the pickapart and bought a used one and it steers perfect now.