Steering Position Sensor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dorman icon, the flying V or whatever it's called. Not OE.

EDIT: some Dorman products are guaranteed for life, so you may want to see if you can get a refund.
Well now I've learned something! I will take it to my local Autozone and see if I bought it there. They keep records. If not, it was prolly a EBay purchase and no way to track it now.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to see if driving it a block or two would do anything. No cost test....
I did test drive it after installing the Steering Sensor. That's when I noticed no tires reading any pressure. Drove it about 15 minutes. I'll drive it some more. Strange this has never happened before.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I called AutoZone and my history shows the Steering Sensor was not bought there. Looks like I'm SOL on any refunds. No clue where I got it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You made that look too easy! I wouldn't have thought to go the extra steps to completely remove the steering column. You're a pro for sure. So, look at these two sensors, the one oView attachment 281477n the right is made in China and failed day two. The one on the left is made in Japan. (The one I installed today) So do you suppose the Chinese one was a counterfeit?
My friend's shop and he was under the dash because he is way smaller than me. There are several threads on here about the counterfeit parts and mixed numbers and "made in's".

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
No beer involved for me on this today, it was before noon. Any advice on the TPMS not reading?
Have Discount tire test them, they do it for free. At least that will let you know the sensors are good. Them test the module.
Recently replaced mine doing it the way @ivin74 described. Beer was involved too and seemed to make it go faster.

Was your sensor bad or did you change it as preventive maintenance?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have Discount tire test them, they do it for free. At least that will let you know the sensors are good. Them test the module.

Was your sensor bad or did you change it as preventive maintenance?
Yes Steering Sensor was bad. My Launch Millenium 90 Diagnostic Tool confirmed it. I had to pull the ABS fuse to make it drivable until I could replace it. The Stability Control kept trying to correct the steering. Scared my wife half to death when it jerked her into oncoming traffic!
Where's this module you speak of?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well searching the Inet I can't find anything about the Body Control Module having anything to do with TPMS. Took it to America's Tires and it goes into the learn/pair mode but the tech couldn't get any wheel to read. Says they're all dead. Kinda coincidental isn't it? He said the system probably tried to connect/talk to them and whatever power they had left in their batteries drained. I feel one leg is longer now...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
All the threads I have read here about TPMS and never once did I hear anything about dead batteries.

I did search and saw that they are supposed to last 5-10 years. Lithium batteries and I think, depending on TPMS design, some can be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts