Steering issues after 90% rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
Now the tires are feathering on the rear axle? The left more then the right? It’s the inside of the tires the left has probably been damaged beyond repair (at least I cannot just run it on another wheel to flatten it out again) and from what I have read this is from bad shocks? But all 4 shocks are new Bilsteins front and back! The rear was bilsteins conversion kit it had new springs to companst for the Nivomatt suspension (self leveling shocks “not air or electric) they have a internal pump that doesn’t need power just the bounce of the suspension) I did away with the OEM Nivomats because the shocks are over $300 Each! The bilstein Kit was around $200 for 2 shocks and 2 Springs.

I went on my road trip about 8500 miles round trip in 35 days and when I went to rotate the tires I say the cupping on the rear? So I have to idea what’s wrong unless the frame or a suspension part is tweaked Iot was aligning at a dealership they said the alignment was almost perfect before any adjustments and they didn’t see anything wrong? But it was a Ford dealership maybe they didn’t do something right or understand what to look for on a Yukon I think a Ford Expedition is a lot different underneath than a GM truck, Ford has always tried to be different from my experience driving Medium duty wreckers
Now the tires are feathering on the rear axle? The left more then the right? It’s the inside of the tires the left has probably been damaged beyond repair (at least I cannot just run it on another wheel to flatten it out again) and from what I have read this is from bad shocks? But all 4 shocks are new Bilsteins front and back! The rear was bilsteins conversion kit it had new springs to companst for the Nivomatt suspension (self leveling shocks “not air or electric) they have a internal pump that doesn’t need power just the bounce of the suspension) I did away with the OEM Nivomats because the shocks are over $300 Each! The bilstein Kit was around $200 for 2 shocks and 2 Springs.

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
Finally solved it! Apparently the Ford dealership I took it to for a alignment (didn't have a choice everyone else was booked 2 weeks out) left the upper control arm bolts loose or at least they didn't torque them to the required 140 lbs the vehicle called for! I also had 4 loose ball joints (if it was just one it wouldn't have been a a big issue but all 4 had enough wear that the alignment would not take) I just replaced all 4 control arms (with pre installed ball joints) when I loosened the upper nuts I was able to break them free with one hand! So the control arms were shifting while I was driving they were that loose! It's been a year since Edwards Ford in West Union SC botched the alignment at the cost of unexplained tire wear until I discovered the loose nuts! I'm disabled so checking the balljoints is very dificdiff but the dealership should have never done such a bad job! I parked the Yukon after I replaced the arms (with help I wish I could still do this work on my own) until the GM dealership had time to align the Yukon! Now it's handling like new again! The drivers side tires are so damaged they will never wear even again! I wish I could go after the Ford dealership but it's a long costly process to take them to court I did post a photo of the one side after the alignment

IMG_20190410_145339.jpg

cycho

Reaction score
I run my tires at 45 psi and the Tahoe handles much better. But I still have an issue with rear sway / front over steer.