Steering issues after 90% rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bi-polar1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looked into the steering wheel position sensor?
my understanding is that it changes/controls pressure that the power steering pump is putting out, variable speed/reactions.
so when that sensor is bad, it will be increasing pressure thereby increasing sensitivity, making the vehicle feel almost
like something is loose in the steering.

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
looked into the steering wheel position sensor?
my understanding is that it changes/controls pressure that the power steering pump is putting out, variable speed/reactions.
so when that sensor is bad, it will be increasing pressure thereby increasing sensitivity, making the vehicle feel almost
like something is loose in the steering.
That’s a possibility or the unit in the pump? The dealer says it shouldn’t cause this but I may try changing it anyway to see if it makes a difference? Or disable it temporarily to see if the steering behaves?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a possibility or the unit in the pump? The dealer says it shouldn’t cause this but I may try changing it anyway to see if it makes a difference? Or disable it temporarily to see if the steering behaves?
If you have the sensor, just unplug it and give it a drive for a while. Your cluster will say service stability but it's not unsafe to drive like that. Mike didn't make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
If you have the sensor, just unplug it and give it a drive for a while. Your cluster will say service stability but it's not unsafe to drive like that. Mike didn't make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I don't know if the cluster will say anything about it? It's. 2001 was it intigated that far into the ODBII in 2001? But yeah I was going to either unplug the valve on the pump or the Sensor on the steering shaft, and see if it helps? The sensor is more for my year than I expected averaging $60 and up for a dorman! I am hunting for a AC Delco sensor because certain parts I don't the stuff made in China

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Not yet it seems snug and that wouldn't explain the intermittent issue? There are times when it handles normal? I'm starting to think a cracked frame or something that can shift throwing a wrench into how it's supposed to handle! I looked pretty close but have to find a lift to get it in the air to really look closely.

I'm willing to bet is the steering gear. Several years I go my steering felt loose so I changed the gear with a rebuilt from autozone and it did not fix the issue. After reading several threads on other forums I found out that the rebuilts are junk. When they rebuild them they only replace the seals and not the gear 1 out of 100 might get a new gear. I sucked it up and bought an new oem steering gear and bingo the problem was fix. If you do change out the steering gear go with new oem. Good luck

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue turned out it was the rear control arms mounting points were a tad loose. It would almost steer the truck at speed.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KR66 - Did you ever figure this one out? My thought is an issue with the steering shaft or the steering box. Let me know your findings when you can.

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
KR66 - Did you ever figure this one out? My thought is an issue with the steering shaft or the steering box. Let me know your findings when you can.
No not yet see my next post it adds to the mystery?

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
No not yet see my next post it adds to the mystery?

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
Now the tires are feathering on the rear axle? The left more then the right? It’s the inside of the tires the left has probably been damaged beyond repair (at least I cannot just run it on another wheel to flatten it out again) and from what I have read this is from bad shocks? But all 4 shocks are new Bilsteins front and back! The rear was bilsteins conversion kit it had new springs to companst for the Nivomatt suspension (self leveling shocks “not air or electric) they have a internal pump that doesn’t need power just the bounce of the suspension) I did away with the OEM Nivomats because the shocks are over $300 Each! The bilstein Kit was around $200 for 2 shocks and 2 Springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01