Steering EVO replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laxman21

Reaction score
I found this list of procedures on the web

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Make an alignment mark on the upper and lower steering shafts where they connect before removal.
Remove the nut and the bolt from the upper to the lower steering shaft connection. Slide the lower shaft down.
Remove the steering wheel position sensor connector by using a suitable tool in order to pull the connector down around the right side of the steering column for accessibility.

Important: Do not apply force to the steering wheel position sensor and the adapter and bearing assembly in a sideways direction.
The steering wheel position sensor does NOT require centering.
Remove the steering wheel position sensor and adapter and bearing assembly from the steering column jacket by pulling the assembly straight out.
Remove the steering wheel position sensor from the clips in the adapter and bearing assembly.

All the other threads I have read talked about removing the EVO while it's still on the shaft and the tabs breaking. Just pull the whole thing out and have another person pull the other tab and lift it out while you do the other tabs.

img04962.jpg

img04971.jpg

Installation Procedure

Important: A new steering wheel position sensor does NOT come with a pin installed.
The steering wheel position sensor does NOT require centering.
Install the steering wheel position sensor into the adapter and bearing assembly.
Verify the following before installing the steering wheel position sensor:
- The front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
- That J 42640 is installed or the steering wheel is in the LOCKED position.
Install the adapter and bearing assembly into the steering column jacket.
Align the notches on the adapter and bearing assembly and the steering column jacket.

Important: Do not apply force to the steering wheel position sensor and the adapter and bearing assembly in a sideways direction.
Seat the adapter and bearing assembly into the steering column jacket.
Connect the steering wheel position sensor connector.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Align the marks on the upper and lower steering shafts, where they connect, that you made during the removal procedure.
Install the bolt and the nut to the upper end of the shaft.

Tighten
Tighten the nut to 62 N·m (46 lb ft).
Connect the negative battery cable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

laxman21

Reaction score
You only need 3 tools for this fix, a 15mm socket, a small flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers.

The socket for the bolt in the steering column.

The screw driver to release the plug connection.

The pliers to reseat the gasket on the steering column when you pull it back through the firewall and to put the plastic safety tab back into the wire connector.

30 minute job.

OP
OP
L

laxman21

Reaction score
I didnt read most but um.... What doe it do?

It controls your variable steering system. Common complaint is that steering wheel feels like it breaks free at higher speeds while going through a slight turn.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever driven a drunk driving simulator? It is like that. I thought I was crazy the first time it happened. Steering went loose at 65. My other truck did it at low speed that was much easier to deal with. Simple fix if you know what to do.

Crowder99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local shop told me computer needs to be reprogrammed when replacing this sensor? Is this true? 99 Yukon

Zack757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anyone know if 1995 k1500s have an EVO? i read somewhere that they didnt get em til 96

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts