Steering column boot replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

whitestingray81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, well my attempt has failed. I removed both lower and upper joint bolts, but I could NOT pull it free from the steering rack. I thought about disconnecting the intermediate shaft and seeing if I could pull the whole thing free from there, but thought better of it. Perhaps the joint is all rusted up.... Ahh well. Next time I have it in the shop I'll ask them to do it. Thanks again for all the help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Bet it is rusted. When you remove those bolts you should be able to wedge a flat blade screwdriver in the split and spread it to help remove and the night before spray PB Blaster in there.

OP
OP
W

whitestingray81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I may just do that.

It is very difficult to see what's going on down there; not sure I could even find where the joints split. I certainly couldn't feel my way around. But I may get inspired and try again.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Where the bolts go thru there is the split. May be turned away from you with the position it is in. I used to either use a flat blade screw driver or hammer in a small chisel to spread them and then leave in till after reinstall.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I am thinking older model than your 07. May still be as I said or different. Don't take my info as gospel.

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hallo to all my friends. I was searching also for such buffing. But if i will check it this part is compatible with my car on eBay they say no. I have an 2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3. Could you please show me the right part for my vehicle. This would help me so much. Thank you Markus

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hallo to all my friends. I was searching also for such buffing. But if i will check it this part is compatible with my car on eBay they say no. I have an 2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3. Could you please show me the right part for my vehicle. This would help me so much. Thank you Markus

DJPoertsch:

I ordered my from www.gmpartscenter.net I actually called them to ensure I had the right part. They asked for last 8 of my vin and confirmed proper part order. Hasn't arrived but was nice to talk to someone to confirm they have just the 2 boots. Under $50 bucks with shipping. Not bad considering this would probably run me $150 to $200 at the dealer (installed, of course).

KonArtist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread...
How do you know if you’ve got the shaft fully on the steering rack? I’ve done a Toyota in the past and the pinch bolt won’t go through unless the shaft is just right.

claustralia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to again revive an old thread...

I recently purchased an 07 yukon and this boot is shredded. I'm looking to replace the boot but there is definitely some dirt and debris that has found its way in. Do yall think its worth replacing just the boot and trying to clean the joint with compressed air etc or just replace the whole shaft? The OEM part is $430 but Dorman's is only $130 which is quite the difference! Let me know what yall think...thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Do the whole shaft. Where did you get that price of $430?

You really should have done an Introduction and then opened a thread in the correct section for 2007 to 2014.