Steering column boot replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you just leave a cracked boot ,mine looks like the pic for over a year now? what damage am I doing

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2007 Avalanche LT a couple of months ago (I know, this is a Tahoe forum, but there isn't much out there in the way of Avalanche-only help). I've been slowly fixing all the small, nagging problems, but the last one is the steering shaft boot is split and needs to be replaced. A couple of questions:

1. Can I do this myself? I don't have a lift, but I do have ramps to drive up on.

2. What is the procedure to do the replacement? Which bolts need to be removed and what are the torque specs for said bolts?

3. I know I need to tie-down the steering wheel so it doesn't wildly turn and break connected wires, but any other tips?

4. This is the correct boot kit (#3 in picture), correct?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Below is a picture of said torn boot. If it's important, the AV is 4wd and has the 5.3 flex fuel engine. Thanks!

AVsteeringknuckle_zpsad96219e.jpg

Avalanche forum.com

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you risk getting moisture and dirt inside of the joint, which will eventually wear out the joint. it would also be a risk for something to get lodged in there and affect steering control.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to order the boot kit and get this done. Both of my boots are torn.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys find the part at a decent price could you please post.

OP
OP
W

whitestingray81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
joshcarl,

I'm hoping you can help me clear up a few questions. I just went out there to see if I could even get the bolts loose. Can you confirm the lower bolt is what is circled in picture #1? It's VERY hard to see, but after breaking an extension, I finally got it loose. This is the lower joint nut, correct?

lowerbolt_zpscd093018.jpg

Also, which of these upper bolts do I remove, or do I remove both? Top one I labeled as #1, lower one I labeled as #2. Thanks!

upperbolts_zps0d616b6a.jpg

that is the correct part.

you can buy the boot itself, but make sire that the supplier that you're going through sells it as either one per order or two. i didn't lock the steering wheel when i did mine, but it is recommended.

1. match mark the upper and lower connections before you start.
2. loosen but don't remove the nut/bolt on the top side of the joint.
3. remove the bolt on the lower side of the joint.
4. remove the upper nut/bolt and pull up on the joint to free it from the steering rack.
5. remove the joint from the steering column by pulling forward on it. i had to use a small hammer and screwdriver to free it.
6. replace boots (i ended up using a worm-drive clamp on the center instead of the supplied crimp on ones).
7. reinstall in reverse order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts