Steam Vent Plug woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Developed a significant leak under the passenger rear stem vent plug. Pulled intake, cleaned head and stram vent block and repaired and now she still leaks. They are the metal and rubber pop cap style gaskets, can I change to the LS6 o-ring style with out modification?

What would be a good way to clean the head? I used a solvent soaked wiped initially, second guessing myself whether it was aggressive enough to get all residue off for a good seal.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Developed a significant leak under the passenger rear stem vent plug. Pulled intake, cleaned head and stram vent block and repaired and now she still leaks. They are the metal and rubber pop cap style gaskets, can I change to the LS6 o-ring style with out modification?

What would be a good way to clean the head? I used a solvent soaked wiped initially, second guessing myself whether it was aggressive enough to get all residue off for a good seal.
That sucks. Maybe the crossover pipe is cracked?

OP
OP
live2pull

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Maybe the crossover pipe is cracked?
Actually, this is probably a false alarm. I didn't drain the coolant and some bobbed out as I was climbing over the truck. It was late and I was tired when I fired her up. Also since it was late I couldn't blow off the engine since my pancake compressor is so loud. I blew it off this afternoon and she looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos