Starts on second crank, gas smell front passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindsey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an '05 Yukon 5.3L SLT, 216k miles. It's not starting the first time I turn the key in the ignition, but if I turn the key back and try again, it starts right away, like normal.
I have also noticed a gasoline smell after parking it, the smell seems to come the front passenger's side, under the hood. It dissipates after a while. No discernible smell when driving, or when starting it up (though I'm in the driver's seat, and drive with the windows down, so it could be present without me noticing). Not sure if the two things are related, but it seems like a possibility and they're both new issues.
I know I need to get it in to a mechanic, but they're all booked two weeks out right now, I'm trying to get an idea what it might be and how cautious I need to be until it's repaired.

Cbncanada

Reaction score
You clearly have a fuel leak somewhere. It is hard to start the first time because the fuel has drained back from the engine and needs to be re-pressurized.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree and the leak may be on a passenger side fuel feed rail.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
A very common spot is the lines on the head of the pump rusting out. Take a look underneath after a drive and see if the passenger side of the tank is wet.

20171124_144356.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844