Starting issues when it’s 30 degrees or lower out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotthus2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. This is a weird one. Truck starts every time but when it’s cold out and it sits for 8 hours. It turns over just fine but will not fire. Turn key off turn back on. Wait a min and try again. About after two or 5 times in extreme cold it finally fires. And will rough idle till it’s warmed up. I need to get this fixed as it is starting to get cold here in WI and it’s already starting to have this problem again.

One person said it was my idle control valve. Replaced that last year. With no change.

Any help. Please. I got to get a breathalyzer installed in my truck in a month and this issue I am having can not be happening if I get that stupid thing installed

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Any CEL? I would have suspected fuel bleed off but you said it only does this in cold weather and NEVER has this problem at say 40 degrees? I would suspect the coolant temp sensor. That is like the choke for the fuel injection system.

OP
OP
S

Scotthus2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Any CEL? I would have suspected fuel bleed off but you said it only does this in cold weather and NEVER has this problem at say 40 degrees? I would suspect the coolant temp sensor. That is like the choke for the fuel injection system.
Interesting never thought of that. Yeah it's only when its cold out. When motor warm no issues. Only when it's cold out first initial start. It's so weird. Kinda acts like it has no fuel but then fires after a few tries sometimes like ten try's if it's real real cold

OP
OP
S

Scotthus2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting never thought of that. Yeah it's only when its cold out. When motor warm no issues. Only when it's cold out first initial start. It's so weird. Kinda acts like it has no fuel but then fires after a few tries sometimes like ten try's if it's real real cold
I could try the temp sensor.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of long shot suggestions here, but what kind of fuel are you running? E10, the typical stuff from the pump? Or if E85, that can cause cold temp starting issues.

You might also verify that the ground for the fuel rails is in good condition.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Teamwieland

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. This is a weird one. Truck starts every time but when it’s cold out and it sits for 8 hours. It turns over just fine but will not fire. Turn key off turn back on. Wait a min and try again. About after two or 5 times in extreme cold it finally fires. And will rough idle till it’s warmed up. I need to get this fixed as it is starting to get cold here in WI and it’s already starting to have this problem again.

One person said it was my idle control valve. Replaced that last year. With no change.

Any help. Please. I got to get a breathalyzer installed in my truck in a month and this issue I am having can not be happening if I get that stupid thing installed

On my 2003 Suburban 5.3L it was the intake manifold gasket. CEL didn't come on until it got pretty bad (started to misfire). Updated gasket and it has run like new ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2