Starter/solenoid for 00 Tahoe 5.3l Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3BigDogs

Reaction score
So now my starter/solenoid needs replacing as of this morning! Is my 2000 Tahoe LS 5.3l Vortec comparable with any other vehicle as far as this goes? Am I better off with new vs rebuilt? I need the most inexpensive way to go..I just moved into a rental house Xmas day..yay!! But now have all these utilities I'm responsible for ☹ Any help is appreciated ASAP!!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a good battery and some jumper cables and head to a salvage yard. any truck in the same year range with the 5.3 i assume would fit. you can test the starters before actually taking it home.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
take a good battery and some jumper cables and head to a salvage yard. any truck in the same year range with the 5.3 i assume would fit. you can test the starters before actually taking it home.
Junkyards are def cheaper. I had to buy 2 starters for my LS vehicles. Rebuilt and brand new were only a few dollars different--but close to $200. These LS starters are very expensive. You could always search craigslist/offerup etc for used--but test them before buying, lots of A*holes out there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, a salvage yard can take your application and pull a unit off a counter and test it and sell it and I bet it even has a 30 day warranty at least. A reman at RA is: $114 depending on the bolt length and a new is about the same plus bolt length option and shipping.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yea, a salvage yard can take your application and pull a unit off a counter and test it and sell it and I bet it even has a 30 day warranty at least. A reman at RA is: $114 depending on the bolt length and a new is about the same plus bolt length option and shipping.
That's a pretty good price on RA.

OP
OP
3BigDogs

3BigDogs

Reaction score
I would if I could actually drive it :D but but I have to order the part for delivery.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3425088&cc=1361551&jsn=1816: This is a new one at RA with no core charge and it has two equal length bolts on it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=536079&cc=1361551&jsn=1829: This is an example of an unequal length bolt starter but does have a refundable core charge because it is a reman unit and is more expensive than the new with equal length bolts.

The starters that are reman that require a core charge will charge you that core charge fee up front and then refund back to you when you return it. That is why if you can get the new for so cheap with no core charge, that is better. There is also a current 5% discount code at RA that is 158394133131744462 and if you buy from RA you type in the code where it asks you
"How did you hear about us".

Then the shipping fee for wherever you happen to be. I would assume the one from CARID has a shipping fee as well. Plus it is reman.

If I was buying the new one I would get the AC Delco one but the one I posted is the cheapest.

To know about the unequal or equal length bolts, you just look at the two mounting bolts that come in from the bottom and if the mounting holes are of equal length, then the one I posted will fit but if one of the mounting ears is way shorter, then that is the unequal length. I posted the two examples as the cheapest choices of the new or reman starters.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you go rock auto try to spring for even Sligh faster shipping. im still waiting on brake parts for my civic from dec 12th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3