SSV/Need help stuck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been driving all over the tri state this weekend, Poughkeepsie NY, NYC, @ Swampscott MA.

On our way home, stopped to get fuel and some food, now the truck won’t start.

Put the key into the ignition starter clicks then the horn starts going off like the alarm is on. ISSUE: it’s an SSV, it NEVER had an alarm or the horn going off like the alarm was triggered. I even took the batteries out of the key fob!

Have the battery totally unconnected, neg and power leads are off now.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti theft, hook the battery back up, lock all the doors with the door lock switch, use the key to unlock the drivers door, try using the ignition switch to start it.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, will try this out, we actually just found a place to crash for the night. Glad I took tomorrow off as a get crap done at home… not… Truck is at the diner, thankfully the owner is letting us leave it there for the night. Yeah!!! Fun times.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??? This truck is an SSV, never… had the alarm go off as I’m told they are turned off to prevent the chirp and lights when in active duty.
All it ever done was lock and unlock doors WITHOUT the light n horn. Why would it start out of the blue???

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like the anti theft system. You might try the 3x 10 minute key learn procedure. The bad news is you really should have a jumper battery hooked up to make sure you don't drain the battery during the 30 minutes with the key on (might be less of an issue if you have dual batteries, but I also would shut everything I could down while waiting for the time outs).

I think the two electronic components involved are the theft sensor up in the key cylinder area and the BCM. Likely a fault in ether of those might inhibit starting and trigger the alarm.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??? This truck is an SSV, never… had the alarm go off as I’m told they are turned off to prevent the chirp and lights when in active duty.
All it ever done was lock and unlock doors WITHOUT the light n horn. Why would it start out of the blue???
I think you have a battery or ignition/security module problem. The lights and horn chirp are settings that can be turned off with the DIC buttons... if you have them. Hope you're back on the road.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope not on the road with the truck, tried the door lock etc that captainamerica1 mentioned. The friggin thing kept goin off and wouldn’t reset. I did get a jumpstart and it idled. Put it in gear and the alarm started to go off again. I’m baffled, it’s been running awesome for the lat 2 plus years I’ve owned it. AAA towed it to a local dealership, it’s there just to get it out of the diners parking lot. I’m going back to get it this week with a trailer and a friends 2500 burban he bought from Chicago motors a week after I bought this one.
I hope it’s nothing crazy, dealer wants 500.00 to just pull into the garage.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like the anti theft system. You might try the 3x 10 minute key learn procedure. The bad news is you really should have a jumper battery hooked up to make sure you don't drain the battery during the 30 minutes with the key on (might be less of an issue if you have dual batteries, but I also would shut everything I could down while waiting for the time outs).

I think the two electronic components involved are the theft sensor up in the key cylinder area and the BCM. Likely a fault in ether of those might inhibit starting and trigger the alarm.
Can you elaborate or lead me to this key learn procedure.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope not on the road with the truck, tried the door lock etc that captainamerica1 mentioned. The friggin thing kept goin off and wouldn’t reset. I did get a jumpstart and it idled. Put it in gear and the alarm started to go off again. I’m baffled, it’s been running awesome for the lat 2 plus years I’ve owned it. AAA towed it to a local dealership, it’s there just to get it out of the diners parking lot. I’m going back to get it this week with a trailer and a friends 2500 burban he bought from Chicago motors a week after I bought this one.
I hope it’s nothing crazy, dealer wants 500.00 to just pull into the garage.
That's sucks the big one man, so sorry. I don't know **** about the alarm stuff.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate or lead me to this key learn procedure.
Here is a video on the process. I don't know if it will help if one of the electronic modules that control this stuff has gone south, but maybe one of them just dropped a bit and reprogramming will put that bit back where it belongs (without an alarm).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne