Squeaky sound. Took off the belts, turned on, sound still there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe you could try to spray some kind of lubricant around the crank shaft seal and see if that's it or to rule it out anyway, also maybe try to jack it up and get under it and see if the noise is more prominent near the trans as Chris mentioned.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, no accessories are at fault and I'm gonna say it's not the torque converter or flexplate since it does it parked/idling and in gear/driving.

Poke around with a mechanic's stethoscope to see if you can at least narrow it down to a general area. SES light on? I'm wondering if it's not really a squeak, but more of a pulsed whistle from a vacuum leak. Like, if an intake manifold gasket somehow leaked just the right way that the air being sucked through the leak could whistle each time that cylinder inhaled.

Thanks for the advice! I will try to poke it tomorrow.

SES is on and off with 420 (if I remember correctly), but it doesn't happen right away, once in a while. I reset it and it can stay with no light weeks sometime.

OKay, I will try to use a cigar as a smoke machine to see if it leaks. Could be, because that plastic part is too close to the serpentine belt.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe you could try to spray some kind of lubricant around the crank shaft seal and see if that's it or to rule it out anyway, also maybe try to jack it up and get under it and see if the noise is more prominent near the trans as Chris mentioned.

I tried to spray WD40 for a test but it didn't help.
I will get spray lubricant or something tomorrow and will post if any changes.

Okay! I'll go under the car tomorrow.

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil on the dipstick isn't glittery, is it?

No glitter in the oil, but I changed the oil yesterday.
update: Just opened the bottle with the oil I dumped, just slightly dirty brown. I change oil each 1k-1.5k.
Car has 300k miles, but I recently (June 2019) installed re-manufactured engine and transmission.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the torque converter bolts... sounds like a flex plate scrubbing...

OP
OP
PeteCT

PeteCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will start from pulling out the harmonic balancer and see if the sound will go away (I'm not sure what could be wrong there, except if it cracked, but sound is more squeaking than anything else).
If yes, means I have to change it. If not, I will pull the plate that covers flex plate and will look there.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend had the same exact sound on his 05 suburban.v we did the same thing. Taking the belts off, etc. He drove that thing everywhere. I'm talking atleast 1k mile long trips. He said as long as it still runs he won't care about the noise lol. He drove the truck five years like that and sold it and it's still running with the same noise. I figured it's a lifter turned in the plastic tray. His Suburban also had over 200k miles. Time for you to pull the valve covers.

rd62rdstr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I blamed belt or pulleys. But took off both belts, started the truck and the problem is still there.
Checked oil levels in the engine and transmission, everything is up to regular level.
Hmmm....

take a long piece of rubber tubing (like fuel hose) if you have it and listen through it while moving the end around the engine compartment to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Based on what you have done, I still suspect a pulley or the water pump. It sounds like a bearing is starting to make noise and water pumps will begin like this and get louder as the bearing is damaged further. Be careful not to get your hose too near the belt with the engine running. Let us know what you find.