Squeaky sound. Took off the belts, turned on, sound still there

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by PeteCT, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Full Access Member

Name:
    Wes
    maybe you could try to spray some kind of lubricant around the crank shaft seal and see if that's it or to rule it out anyway, also maybe try to jack it up and get under it and see if the noise is more prominent near the trans as Chris mentioned.

2. PeteCT

PeteCT Member

Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for the advice! I will try to poke it tomorrow.

SES is on and off with 420 (if I remember correctly), but it doesn't happen right away, once in a while. I reset it and it can stay with no light weeks sometime.

OKay, I will try to use a cigar as a smoke machine to see if it leaks. Could be, because that plastic part is too close to the serpentine belt.

3. iamdub

iamdub Hold on... Lemme overthink this for a bit...

Name:
    Chris
    Oil on the dipstick isn't glittery, is it?

4. PeteCT

PeteCT Member

Name:
    Pete
    I tried to spray WD40 for a test but it didn't help.
    I will get spray lubricant or something tomorrow and will post if any changes.

Okay! I'll go under the car tomorrow.

5. PeteCT

PeteCT Member

Name:
    Pete
    No glitter in the oil, but I changed the oil yesterday.
    update: Just opened the bottle with the oil I dumped, just slightly dirty brown. I change oil each 1k-1.5k.
    Car has 300k miles, but I recently (June 2019) installed re-manufactured engine and transmission.

6. PPV12HOE

PPV12HOE Full Access Member

Name:
    Kyle
    Check the torque converter bolts... sounds like a flex plate scrubbing...

7. PeteCT

PeteCT Member

Name:
    Pete
    will do! thanks!

8. PeteCT

PeteCT Member

Name:
    Pete
    I think I will start from pulling out the harmonic balancer and see if the sound will go away (I'm not sure what could be wrong there, except if it cracked, but sound is more squeaking than anything else).
    If yes, means I have to change it. If not, I will pull the plate that covers flex plate and will look there.

Doubeleive likes this.
  9. Warriorpluto

Warriorpluto Full Access Member

Name:
    Blahba
    My friend had the same exact sound on his 05 suburban.v we did the same thing. Taking the belts off, etc. He drove that thing everywhere. I'm talking atleast 1k mile long trips. He said as long as it still runs he won't care about the noise lol. He drove the truck five years like that and sold it and it's still running with the same noise. I figured it's a lifter turned in the plastic tray. His Suburban also had over 200k miles. Time for you to pull the valve covers.

10. rd62rdstr

rd62rdstr TYF Newbie

Name:
    Sal
    take a long piece of rubber tubing (like fuel hose) if you have it and listen through it while moving the end around the engine compartment to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Based on what you have done, I still suspect a pulley or the water pump. It sounds like a bearing is starting to make noise and water pumps will begin like this and get louder as the bearing is damaged further. Be careful not to get your hose too near the belt with the engine running. Let us know what you find.